November 22, 2016

Angela ~ Working on a Chair

No sewing again this week, but today I am working on a chair.  I bought a vintage rocker that sits on a base and rocks on springs.  It's beautiful but way too low to get out of easily, and I have very short legs.
It's actually laying on its side, I just turned the photo.  The seat is about 14" from the floor.  I remember my grandfather having a rocker similar to this.
You can see the bottom construction and the rocking springs at the bottom of the photo.
I cut, sanded and stained 2x4s.  I will attach these to the bottom of the legs and run 2x2 braces across as well.  That will raise it up 4 inches which I hope will be enough.  I'm trying to get it finished before Thanksgiving day.

6 comments:

cq4fun said...

Oh my, what an interesting project. You always come up with such different things to do. How is the upholstery? I like the color.

ladyhawthorne said...

The upholstery is fairly new but I like that they chose something that looked vintage. The color is perfect for our living room and I got Mom to agree to get rid of 1 of the 3 recliners in there.

Suztats said...

Oh, a very neat project. I hope it fits perfectly. Happy Thanksgiving!

Moira said...

Neat project. Great work on making the rocker one that you can use comfortably.

Cyra said...

Oh wow, that IS a gorgeous rocker. Love the fabric pattern and colour, but my favourite bit is the carved wood. What a great find.

ladyhawthorne said...

I seem to have a knack for finding great chairs for $25. This is the 4th one. Sadly I had to get rid of all the others when I moved. No place to store them.