September 20, 2016

Suz: Needle Work and Dyeing

I've progressed from PPP #5 to starting PPP #6:

#5 all finished















a start on #6

a close-up on the lace flower


bullions mark the petals' vein












 I played with some tatting

trying out a variegated thread

Ankars tatting, but I pulled too tightly as you can see by the buckling on the rings



adding beads to the Ankars tat

I think I need to re-tat this using a gentler hand

 I've been working on a fabric card for my sister who loves blue














I have more fabric tags to make.

Each tag has a quote or humorous saying about sisters.








Some will be tucked into lace pockets, and some will be stitched onto
the card. I know they'll make my sister smile.

In the garden, the sedum is turning darker. Soon it will be bright crimson. The nights are getting cooler, and there's a touch of crispness to the air. Summer is almost over.







I've been saving my avocado pits, and this weekend, I cooked up a batch to colour some fabrics.

a baker's dozen pits in the pot

Some had a layer of skin pop off the pit.

the selection of laces, and fabrics washed and ready

After coming to a boil, I simmered the pits until this dark colour appeared, then I turned off the burner and added the fabrics.  I left the fabrics to dye all afternoon and overnight.
Here's the fabric as it was taken from the pot. Such a variety of shades, from palest pink to a tawny peach.
After rinsing in warm water, I hung each piece up to dry indoors. The dark piece at the back of the rack is silk dupion. Most of the other pieces are cotton. I even placed a skein of thread into the pot, too.
What nice colours!

Well, that's my week. I hope yours was a happy and creative one.

Hugs from Suz

5 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Thank you for posting pictures of your dyeing process. I am intrigued and love the variety of colors that came out.
Another gorgeous card, I am so impressed by these.
The purple block are wonderful as usual, as is the tatting. The beads make for an interesting look, I'm thinking that would be a fabulous brooch.

Susan said...

The tatting looks great to me. I actually don't see the buckling you are talking about. Love the thread, too. The flower on PPP #6 is really interesting. Those are LONG bullions! I love your dyed pieces - that variety from the same dye pot is amazing! I never knew avocado seeds gave such pretty dye. Do you set that with vinegar?

Moira said...

I love the tatting, and love love love the color of the thread that you used in it.

The dying that you did with the avocado pits is amazing. I would not have thought that they would give the range of colors that you got with them. How did you set the color?

Suztats said...

Susan I read that the avocado pits contain tannins which act as a mordant with cotton fabrics, so there's no need for fixing it. As I'm not using these fabrics for items that will be washed, it's not a concern for me. But if you try this with other fabrics than cotton, a mordant may be necessary.

Suztats said...

I cut 1 piece of the fabric in half, and threw one of the halves into the washer, then the dryer. I can't tell from the photo which was machine washed and dried. It seems the tannins in the avocado pit works fine as a mordant.