September 13, 2016

Suz: 2UFO's to 2FFO's and Another Fabric Card

I had two CQ projects that were UFO's. All the blocks were completed, but they hadn't been put together for the wall hangings I had planned. Well, one was almost together, but then I had to rip it all apart to fix a block which was slightly larger than the others.........and I hadn't noticed the size difference until then. Frustrated, I put it away in the closet, and it sat there waiting and waiting..........
They sat there, one for 3 years, and another for 2. (hangs head in shame)
So, when we finally had some rainy weather, I decided it was time to turn those UFO's into FFO's! (finally finished objects)
Here is my Christmas wall hanging all ready to put up on the wall for this Christmas:

Although I made 12 blocks, I decided to use just 9 of them for the wall hanging.

















Crystal and glass beads create icicle dangles



Sorry this is a little blurred. It's also a little pouffy, too, but this is the one I've put together twice. Will I let the pouffiness bother me? I'm not sure. I may tighten up the blocks a bit with some edge stitching and see if that solves the problem.  sigh
This is my Lace and Roses CQJP project. I do like it.













The newest fabric card is for my granddaughter, Jewel. She turns 5 next month, and she loves the colour blue.
On the right is the card front, with laces, a variety of fabrics and trims, and a blue lace butterfly I dyed.
On the left is the back of the card. It has a mesh pocket over a fun, flowery fabric.


This is the inside of the card. On the right is a layer of turquoise organza over some blue and white fabric. It's a pocket to hold some goodies I'll be sending Jewel.










Here are some of the goodies that will go into the pockets for Jewel, along with hair ribbon and some stickers.

a close-up of the organza flower with a tatted stem and leaves

A box full of new books are headed her way, too.

Some goodies arrived in my mailbox! The silk threads and gimp were a birthday gift from my DH. ;-)


That's all the stitching I have to show this week. Hope your week was a fun and creative one.

Hugs from Suz




















5 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

FFOs definitely feel good, yours are wonderful!
Those cards you are making will be keepsakes forever, so lovely.
I think I'm jealous of your new threads.

Moira said...

Great work on the wallhangings! You've definitely got your DH trained well. =)

Cyra said...

Congratulations on your FFO's. I love the crystal dangly additions, great fun.
Jewel is going to be over the moon when she receives her fabric card with the 'hidden' treasures in the pockets. You are such a great nan/granny/grandma. Has it really been five years, wow.
A belated Happy Birthday to you. Please get your DH to tell my DH exactly what us stitchers like to receive for birthday presents.

desertskyquilts said...

Mine was not, on any front, hence no post. Yours was really productive! I like the Christmas glitter. That will be a great addition to your holiday decorating. The roses quilt is still gorgeous. I'm wondering if the lace edgings and stripping is pulling tighter than the fabric and causing the puffiness? If you were quilting it on a longarm, it might still be hard to pull out. BUT I have a longarmer friend who says you can fix a lot of things with steam. She's working with cotton, and I don't know what your fabrics are. Might be worth a try, though.

Suztats said...

Thanks for the idea about the steam. I may try that. As far as I know, it's all cotton. The stripping may be pulling tighter than the fabric. It hasn't been quilted, though, just CQ'd. I suppose as a last resort, I could always stuff each block.....lol.

Hugs