June 21, 2016

Suz: Summer Begins

Happy first days of summer! It was quite hot over the last few days, but this morning is cool and sunny. We had a few moments of rain last evening, and although the rain barrel was 1/3 full before the rain fell, it's only half full now. The soil is still dry in the gardens, so I'll spend some time watering today.
There has been some stitching:

I completed this purple piece. I'm leaving the purple section in the lower right bare until I decide if I want to add some white or pale thread in a meandering vine.

I began working on another purple block with the addition of a gathered, variegated fabric strip, 2 buttons, beads on sequins, purple silk ribbon, and a blue trim. Plus a pretty purple lace butterfly and a wee bit of tatting.

The frilly tatting looks like a woolly caterpillar..... lol

Purple fur, purple bullions, french knots and herringbone stitch embellish this seam.

I wrapped the silk ribbon here and there with a variegated thread, and added french knots to the flower centers.

Blue beads decorate the blue trim.

The progress so far........







On the crewel piece flower #3, I added the inside row of beads and more metallic purple  thread.

Next came the outer row of beads.

I began weaving inside the leaf shapes.

dimension

Next came the second colour for the weaving.

Flower #3 is completed, and I've begun working on flower #4, but not enough progress was made to show any photos.










I'm couching some off-white gimp along the outline of the flowers on the wrapping cloth.

I may decide to add some beads, too, for a bit of bling.

The gimp seems to show up against the background and define the flower shapes and petals.

This last prepared piece is almost finished!

That's all the stitching for this week. I hope your week was a creative and enjoyable one.

If you're interested, there are more garden shots on my blog

Hugs from Suz



 

3 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

I love all the purple! and that wooly caterpillar is wonderful. It all makes my fingers itch to do another crazy quilt piece. Sadly no time for it. I can't even come up with something to post here right now.

Barbara Curiel said...

Yes, your crazy quilting is inspiring, but your crewel embroidery is really making my fingers itch. Lovely use of all that purple.

Cyra said...

Oh wow, a stunning weeks work. I can't tell you which is my favourite because I love it all. I really need to get back to stitching something after seeing all your eye-candy. I'm another one (along with Angela) who didn't have any stitching to show this week.