May 3, 2016

Moira: scattered thoughts and projects


More 'little'  completions this week.  

First up was the tops to a couple of mug rugs that started with a little piece of aborder print from a couple of pillow panels.  Used scraps in red, blue and COC's to make a checkerboard around the print.   Posted a pic of them on FB and sold the blue one before I could even think about it.  =)  

Backing for the two mug rugs is to the right.  Love being able to shop my stash and find the perfect fabric for what I need..  =)

Made a couple of sets of leaf blocks for the Block lotto and realized that I misread the instructions on how many fabrics to use for the background.   So I need to go back and fix them.......sigh......Not my fav thing to do, but at least the problem is fixable so I won't have to totally redo the blocks.











I also made the September block for the Modern Quilts Block Design contest that I didn't get made back last year thanks to the move out here to Wyoming.    Only one more block to catch up on from last month (still waiting for inspiration on that one!) and then to decide on what fabrics to use for this months block.

Tried to decide what colors to use for this months block and haven't been able to make a decision yet.   Have it down to the two color ranges shown below.  The block I designed needs four shades/colors to showcase the pattern....I just can't decide which one to go with.  Also below is a pic of the 8 blocks I have done at this time.























































And I was able to get two graduation gifts made - embellished towels for girls that are graduating and heading to college.  Only one more to go, but need another towel set and have to make a trip to the quilt store when I'm up in Casper on Friday to find fabric that she'll like.







9 comments:

Judy S. said...

Cute mug rugs! What are the measurements you use? You have lots of pretty projects in the works! Great idea for the graduation gifts.

ladyhawthorne said...

More cute mug rugs and I love all the blocks you've done too. The towels are a perfect gift that you know will be used. Gotta love that!

Moira said...

judy - these mug rugs turned out at roughly 10" by 12". The snack mats I've made have been up to about 12 by 15. Depends on what size I'm starting with for the focus of them.

Suztats said...

Oh, my! Lots of fabric goodness here. I love the September block! The mug rugs are really cute. How nice that you're creating graduation gifts for your students. They're sure to love the towels!

cq4fun said...

Working hard, as always!

Debra Dixon said...

Do you need any other focal pieces for your mug rugs? I could look through some of my embroidery pieces.

Cyra said...

Love the mug rugs. Your productivity continues to amaze me.
The MQ block is my favourite. Love those shades and design.

Moira said...

I would love to have some different focal pieces for my mug rugs Debra! I've got come cross-stitch ones, but I know not everyone likes cross-stitch.

Barbara C said...

So many lovely projects here. Your pieced blocks are striking, and that teddy bear fabric brings back nostalgic memories from when my kids were little.