April 26, 2016

Angela ~ Sharing my Wildflowers

No sewing this week either, there's just too much to do.  But I though I would share my wildflower garden I planted last year with you.
We have a horseshoe drive and this is inside it.  Our big mesquite tree grows in one corner.  This bed is about 3 feet wide.  I put in a few plants from the nursery last year but most everything you see is what has come up from the 1000's of seeds I scattered last spring.  Those Queen Anne's Lace are 4 feet tall!


Very little came up last year though I did have blanket flower blooming it's heart out all winter.
And it is still blooming.
Above you see the arbor I redid 2 years ago with branches instead of the falling apart lattice it used to have.
This is the other side of the horseshoe, only a few blooming plants here, most of the ones I purchased did not make it, but a few did.  I will sow wildflower seed here this year and next year it should be gorgeous too.  Hopefully all will resow themselves from here on out.
There are more photos on my blog if you are interested.

10 comments:

Judy S. said...

Wild flowers are the best! And yours are lovely!

cq4fun said...

What pretty wildflowers. I love Queen Anne's lace. My sister used to do that all over the hillside below their home, and it did reseed a lot, but the wind blows much of the new seeds away. Birds like them, too. You might have to reseed several times to get enough to keep coming up. What a lovely area that is, though!

ladyhawthorne said...

I wouldn't mind seeding the entire area but there is a pecan tree in the center and flowers would make it too hard to gather the nuts.

Suztats said...

This is very pretty, Angela. I, too, love wildflowers. I bet you have lots of bees and butterflies in your gardens.

Debra Dixon said...

Queen Anne's Lace is just the best wildflower ever; well, except for bluebonnets!

Moira said...

Your flowers are lovely! Would love to see it all in person. =)

ladyhawthorne said...

Debra, there were quite a few bluebonnets along the road as you turn off to get to our house.

Moira, you are welcome to visit anytime!

Cyra said...

What a beautiful wild garden you have Angela. I might just 'steal' this idea and get loads of wild flower seeds for my new front garden too. Thanks for putting the seed of an idea in my head, lol.

ladyhawthorne said...

Plant them in the fall Cyra, so they will come up the next spring, most have to have that much time in the ground.

Cyra said...

Thanks Angela, it just so happens to be early autumn here at the moment, so I shall go to the garden centre to get some packets of wild flower seeds next time I go to town.