March 1, 2016

Moira: Chugging away

Started to work on pin-basting the t-shirt quilt this past weekend.   Pics show the full view of the fonrt and back sides.   To give a sense of scale the quilts are draped over 6' ladders!
They just barely fit the king-size batting that I'm using for it.  The top picture is of the front of the quilt. I've managed to get quilted the bottom row of blocks and the two outside blocks of the next row up.   Have the blocks of that row pinned and ready to quilt.





















Next up this week was getting the main part of the quilt top that I started last week completed.   Am still thinking about what I want to do for a border for it.   I have added a white inner border to it, but still have no idea what I want to do for the final border.   Am trying to talk myself out of doing a pieced final border......

Am also considering writing this up and posting to Craftsy to see if it would sell.









And on Saturday I started a new quilt that I'll be using as the basis for a tutorial on my blog in the near future.  Several months ago I had cut over 100 of my novelty print / alphabet fabrics up into 6.5" swatch sets to sell.   There were oodles of little pieces left over afterwards from the ends of the strips that I cut down.   I trimmed those to where they were rectangles and alternated them with 2.5" by 6.5" strips of black into this quilt.   The fabric at the top of the second pic will be a border at the top and bottom of the quilt.   A final 3" border of black will go around the entire outside of the quilt.  Finished size will be around 40" by 60".

All of the fabrics in it, with the exception of the letters fabric is from my scraps.  =)   And I still have enough of the novelty print rectangles to do the center of a second quilt.














And last but not the least, the final pic shows the colors that I've pulled for my contest block for February's contest.   I've got the design chosen and drawn up for PP'ing........and the fabrics were easy to choose for a change this month.  I love how the block looks, but it's going to be time consuming to make and then tear the paper off of because there are 48 pieces in each 6" square section of the final block.   Making for 192 pieces in the final block.   Yikes!   Why do I do this to myself.....oh wait I saw a picture that inspired me even before the traditional block was announced and I just couldn't get it out of my mind.   lol.....


4 comments:

Judy S. said...

Impressive! You are so productive, Moira. I love the quilt with the black and white sashing! The others are great, too. Did you use anything on the t-shirt blocks to prevent their stretching? I'll bet you would be a wonderful Craftsy teacher; they'd be lucky to have you!

ladyhawthorne said...

Wow! The tshirt quilts are wonderful as are the others. The black really makes those colorful pieces pop! Pretty fabrics for your next block. I think you are much more ambitious than I am these days.

Suztats said...

OMGoodness! I can't believe how much you've done! You must be one speedy sewing artist, and with a very hefty stash. Love all the quilts. The black and white is a show-stopper, I think.

Moira said...

I used a fusible interfacing on the backs of the t-shirts. (The one that Joann's has for 99 cents a yard.)

and yes, Suztats - I do sew fast and have a very, very hefty stash. For many yrs i've said that it is my 401F for my retirement and all the years I was unemployed!