March 8, 2016

Debra--Some Commission & Reclamation Work

Barbara wrote me about embroidering a blouse for her mother with some modern Mexican motifs.  Because they are intense designs with a lot of thread, I decided to stitch another one to test them. I've discovered that a market near my house may be a good spot to sell some merchandise to a large Hispanic population.  Toward that end, I am collecting ideas and supplies in brighter colors that might appeal.  They certainly appeal to me! 

The turquoise is going to be a set of patchwork pillows.  The red will be Barbara's mother's blouse.





Another idea I've had for awhile is to buy patchwork pillow shams, disassemble them and turn them into table runners.  I have a set of the blue and burgundy stars and a single of the blue and green star.  I'll quilt them on the longarm, bind them and offer them at the markets too.  Once they were disassembled, starched and ironed, they weren't half bad!



Finally some sewing news!  The organization business is keeping me pretty busy.  I guess the world is full of unorganized people!  :-)

6 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Yay! I'm so happy you are finding work and some is sewing. The table runners are a great idea and the Mexican embroidery is bright and cheerful, great for summer!

Moira said...

Love the Mexican embroidery work! The tablerunners are a great idea of what can be done to reclaim things that would normally be tossed. =)

Suztats said...

The Mexican embroidery is so lively and fun! I'm sure they'll be attractive to so many people. I like the idea of deconstructing the pillow shams and making table runners. It's great to reduce waste and use the fabrics in another way. What about adding some fab machine embroidery to them as well, perhaps? I think that blue star might like a bit of embroidered zing. Hope lots of work keeps coming your way.

Barbara C said...

The embroidery looks fabulous! I think pillows are a great idea too!

Judy S. said...

Awesome embroidery! Love the table runners, too. You'd have guessed you could do that with a pillow sham. You are SO creative!

cq4fun said...

Are the pillowshams something commercial, or something handmade that you found at a thrift store? Or your own? It sounds like a great idea. I really like the embroidery. Very Texas! I'm glad there are so many people who need organizing. =)