March 8, 2016

Angela ~ Winter Socks Completed as Spring Arrives

At long last I completed the winter socks.
Not being able to deal with double pointed knitting needles, I experimented with using regular needles and knitted these flat from the top down.
I decreased each side as I got to the toe area.

I was also using up scraps of thick yarn so that's why the center is a pale lavender color.  They are stitched with extra yarn across the toes and up the top center so there is a slight ridge there. 

They fit much like a high top slipper and are very soft and very warm.  That was the goal.  It will work making these this way but I have since learned about using the 'magic loop'.  This is where you use circular needles and just pull the thin part of the circle into a loop as you knit in a circle for the sock.  If I make any more I will have to try it.

6 comments:

Judy S. said...

Let me know how the magic loop works. I've not tried it but want to. Your flat sock is interesting. Did you create the pattern? Nice colors, too.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Nice!!

ladyhawthorne said...

Judy, I just tested about 4 times to get a gauge of this bulky yarn and then went by measurements.

Suztats said...

They'll be nice and warm on those cool, spring nights.

Barbara C said...

These are great house socks. I'm also curious to see if you like magic loop. Some people swear by it.

cq4fun said...

However you knit them, these are beauties, and I know winter will come again. Maybe next week!