January 26, 2016

Moira - Commissioned T-Shirt quilt under way..........

I've gotten the commissioned T-Shirt quilt underway this weekend.   Two rows of the back have been completed and I've got 5 more shirts prepped.   Had to stop tho and make more of the sashing so that I can continue to put the back together.   Once I've completed more sashing I'll prep more shirts.  =)  Have 24 WOF strips cut and ready to sew - that'll be enough to do this side and part of the front side.   Will be sewing more sashing in the not-so distant future.

First two rows of blocks and sashing are shown here......quilt is laying the long-wise direction of my queen sized bed and laps over both ends by a couple of inches.  By the time the sides are done it will be about 110 inches long.

 Pic on the left is the way the quilt is supposed to look.....I didn't catch my booboo on the sashing until I took the pic on the right - guess who was doing a bunch of frog-stitching?

6 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

That's a nice looking quilt, love the black white & red together.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Took me a concentrated look to find the goof!

I admire that you are piecing sashing.

Judy S. said...

That's quite an impressive endeavor there! Looking good, too. Love the color combo also. What is your method for prepping the t-shirts?

Barbara C said...

Nice looking quilt, the sashing makes the blocks really pop.

Moira said...

Don't feel bad Debra - I didn't see the goof until I looked at the picture and it was right in front of me! I am indeed piecing the sashing. Strips cut at 1.5 inches wide so the sashing finishes at 2" when sewn. Will bind in the finished quilt in the black. Thankfully piecing the sashing goes quickly.

Moira said...

For prepping the shirts, I take and cut the fronts of the shirts off (or the back if that is the side he wants) and then iron them flat. Iron temp is set on a medium temp (5 out of 7), shirts ironed from the wrong side.

After pressing the shirt flat, I iron on the interfacing (pellon P44F) to the wrong side. I cut the interfacing about 16-17" wide for this quilt by width of fabric.

Finally the shirts are trimmed down to a 15" square and then they are ready to go into the quilt.