January 5, 2016

Debra: Raw Edge Pashmina Scarves


I find a good assortment of faux and real pashmina shawls/scarves at my local thrift store for about $3.75 each.   Whenever I see something in abundance, I am always challenging myself for an upcycle/reclamation idea.

This is my scarf.  Not too long ago I got distracted while ironing it and gave it a big scorch.  I decided to experiment with raw edge work on it.  I had already embroidered the ends a few years ago so that helped me decide the color scheme.  Here it is stretched on the longarm.  Last night I stitched the beginning rows.  Once I cover the scorch, I may skip an area before adding more strips.  Otherwise, it could take a long time to cover the scarf.  It's kinda long!

I have about 4 or 5 large boxes of small strips so I'm challenging myself in 2016 to work them into lots of raw edge work.  Before I got heavy handed buying more scarves, I thought it would be prudent to work up the ones I own now to see if the idea is even worth pursuing.  Ideas are like that.  Sometimes they seem so good in theory and pathetic in actuality!


5 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Interesting idea and I like the color/pattern combo.

Barbara C said...

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm wondering how the embellished fabric will drape.

Judy S. said...

Sounds very intriguing! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Thanks, we'll see!

cq4fun said...

I am excited to see how this works up. I can't picture it, but I know you have a clear vision of what you want to happen. I hope it works even better than you imagine it!