December 29, 2015

Barbara's Japanese Knot Bag


Cloth project bags are all the rage in the knitting world.  I usually use those clear plastic zippered bags that linens come in:  They're very practical, but let's face it, they're not cute.  Plus, they don't have handles.


There's a great tutorial with template on the Better Homes and Gardens website.   The bag is the perfect size for a small project.  In this case, I'm making Judy Marples' Knit Night Hat (yes, it's free) with a special ball of Malabrigo Rios that I bought in San Francisco in the Spring.


The downloaded pattern prints in five pieces and you tape it together.  I cut out the bag and lining at the same time with a rotary cutter.


There are handy pockets inside for small tools.


The bag is fully reversible, and I got to use a fun novelty print. 


I also finished my crocheted t-shirt rug.  In all it took 13 men's large t-shirts.  The last few did have seams, but they posed no problem: the overlocked seams were sturdy and held up to the cutting and stretching process.


Gratuitous dog picture with the rug.

Happy Holidays to all, and best wishes for a creative 2016!

6 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

That yarn is gorgeous! Great bag, I can see how handy it would be. Now how did you keep the dog from laying on the rug so you could take the photo? Or is your dog better behaved than my cat?

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Cute bag! Would it work with prequilted fabrics? I quilted up a bunch of dog prints earlier but didn't get any orders for dog stockings. Now I need a quick project to unload them.

Barbara C said...

The project list includes batting, but the instructions didn't include any reference to using it, so quilted fabrics would probably work well.

Judy S. said...

Cute bag! Thanks for the comment about the t-shirt yarn from ones with seams. It's getting harder to fine the seamless ones! Love that Rios yarn. (I just used a couple of balls and it's wonderful.) Maybe I'll try that hat for the third skein. Thanks for the link!

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Good to know about the prequilted fabric.

Moira said...

Love the fabrics you used for the bag! and the bag turned out cute. I know you'll enjoy using it.