December 1, 2015

Barbara's Altered Turtleneck Sweater



I had this beautiful but unwearable sweater.  It's nice and warm, but the wool turtleneck was a bit to hot and claustrophobic for me.


I marked a line down the middle of the collar to the point where I wanted my v-neck to end.  I stitched a straight line down the mark, and a zig-zag on either side, and across the bottom.


Then I took a small sharp scissors and cut the collar open along the straight sewn line.


I hand sewed a piece of ribbon to either side of the cut edge.




At the "v" I mitred the ribbon so that it made a smooth edge.


Now I have a wearable warm sweater!

6 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

What a great idea!

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

I've always admired your brave sweater cutting! You do it so well.

Judy S. said...

Brilliant! You are so brave! I'm not sure I could ever cut into a sweater....

Suztats said...

That's a great idea, and the results look so good!

Moira said...

Great idea! One I'll have to remember because I hate turtlenecks and can't stand to wear them. =)

cq4fun said...

That's very clever - I don't like anything close around my neck, but there are some pretty turtleneck sweaters. I'll remember this trick!