December 29, 2015

Angela ~ Penny Rug

Playing around on Pinterest last week led me to researching penny rugs. 
vintage penny rug
A very frugal way to decorate your home with table covers, candle mats and actual hearth rugs.  The round shapes are the earliest designs because the pattern was an actual penny, which used to be about the size of our current quarter.
Here are about half of the coins I've made in the last week.  Once I decided I liked it, I ordered some lovely real wool felt as colors are limited in the felt from Walmart (which is made with recycled plastic).

Check out my blog for more info if you are interested.

I'm still working on the socks but my wrist hurts after about 5 rows now due to the weight of the sock, it's really thick and heavy yarn.  But hopefully I'll finish before winter is over.

8 comments:

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Can you use reclaimed wool from thrifted clothes?

ladyhawthorne said...

I think that's what the original maker's used but I'm not sure if it would ravel out. Now days people just use pre made felt. It's certainly cheap enough.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

If the wool was felted, it wouldn't ravel.

Barbara C said...

Great project. Yes, you can felt your own wool in the washer for this kind of project. It won't ravel once felted.

Too bad about the sore wrist. Sometimes switching needles helps. Some just work better with some yarns than others.

ladyhawthorne said...

My first try with felting - Mom's slippers made from sweaters - did not really work. We only have cold water going to the washer and even though I boiled a big pot of water, I guess it really needed hot water for the rinse cycle too. I guess I could try the laundromat if I had enough to be worth it.

Barbara C said...

Switching between hot and cold water is part of what shocks the fabric into felting. It also need agitation, and some fabrics need a lot. It may be easier to buy your wool felt. You'll also get a bigger variety of colors that way.

Judy S. said...

Sounds like a fun project! Colorful, too!

Moira said...

Love the penny circles so far! A tempting idea for some of the felted wool jackets that I have here.