November 17, 2015

Susan: No Handwork Here

No embroidery, no CQ, no quilting, nothing requiring a needle in the hand has happened in the last week. I did do a little scrappy quilting today, though. Here's an update on the next two parts of my Scrap Vortex. I have six parts sewn together already, and then there will be these. I find working in sections is very helpful. I'm debating whether to smear the edges by using pieced parts or really let the sections stand out in all their uneven sizes by connecting them with larger strips of the same fabric. I suppose it will depend on how I feel the day I finish!

ScrapVortex_b ScrapVortex_a

The one on the left is together except for one seam. The one on the right needs a little more filling in next to the bird block, and then those two sections will go together. These two go vertically, with the one on the right being the bottom half. It's been fun working in larger scraps like the bird and the stockings. I could spend days just working on this, but there's too much else that needs completion.

Okay, this wasn't supposed to publish, but it did, so ... there ya go.

7 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

This looks like a fun project, love the bird surrounded by red!

Moira said...

Lots of fun stuff there. Love the stockings....were they an orphan block from someone?

cq4fun said...

Thanks to both of you. No, the stockings were a scrap Stacey brought in a shoebox of scraps. So was the HO, HO, HO piece on the last section.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

My favorite kind of quilts--improv!

Barbara C said...

I love these Scrap Vortex quilts. They look so fun.

Judy S. said...

Well, at least you posted, and you sure accomplished a lot today!

Suztats said...

Feels good creating something useful and pretty from scraps. I love the bird block.