November 10, 2015

Moira: Finally sewing again!!!!

Yes, I've actually started sewing again.   Nope, everything is not unpacked or sorted out in the apartment but that is totally beside the point.    I had to get busy on the block I'll be submitting for the Modern Quilts block contest this month.

The traditional block that we were to work with this month and interpret in a modern way was the Card Tricks Block.    I wanted a woven look to my finished block and here is what I ended up with in my test block.   If you are interested in reading about my design process, you can go here to read more.

The black and yellow blocks is my test block and won't be the one submitted because it wasn't made with Michael Miller fabrics.   I have the submission block started in Fairy Frost fabrics.   And am using 4 different colors for the woven links.   Am planning to call it "Woven Cards".   This block has to be finished and a pic uploaded today (nothing like waiting till the last minute right?).

Voting on it starts tomorrow and continues through the 14th.   You do need a Facebook account to vote, but I would love to have you vote for my block once voting starts tomorrow.  The page for voting can be found here - voting page.  My block should be on page 1 or 2 depending on when I get it uploaded today.


9 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

That's really pretty, can't wait to see the Fairy Frost version.

cq4fun said...

I went to see the FF version, but it isn't up yet. I didn't see anything I'm going to like better than this one, though!

Cyra said...

Another fantastic block. You are rocking this challenge.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

I've seen your other fabrics & I like this version much better!

Suztats said...

I like this design, It makes me think of Celtic knots. I'll check out the FB page tomorrow to vote. Good luck in the challenge.

Judy S. said...

Hurrah! You are at least settled enough to sew. What a fun block! I love it.

Suztats said...

How do I vote? There doesn't seem to be any directions?

Moira said...

The website is now open for voting at http://modernquilts.mqumag.com/challenge/ . As far as I know you still need a FB acct (and be logged into it) to vote.

All that you need to do is to check the vote box and it will automatically tally your vote.

Thanks in advance for voting for the block if you can/co.

Debra - I like the colors on the test block better as well.......however, the rules say that michael miller fabrics must be used and the fairy frost are what I have in my stash here in the middle of nowhere. Haven't been able to find any in the few stores I've found while out traipsing about either. Gonna have to look online to see what i can find.

Thanks Suztats! I love working with Celtic type designs and have done several of them.

Barbara C said...

Very dynamic block design--good luck with the contest!