November 10, 2015

Debra: Country Red Quilt

I am so pleased to have this quilt finished! It's been a lingering top for a few years & now it has found a good home.

Back in the early 1980s my first husband and I were part of a group that founded the Presbyterian church in the community in which we were living.  We made life-long friends and when he and I divorced, they stayed friends with me.  In the past few years the Presbyterian church has become a co-sponsor of a "Pay What You Can" cafe in the community.  It also serves as a safe haven for teenagers to socialize.  I have given them a few quilts for fundraising and one of my art wallhangings hangs in the cafe.  It's my way to give back to a community that meant so much to me during the early years of my marriage and when I was having babies and watching them grow.  

This quilt, Red Country, is a group of crumb blocks with large blank blocks.  It's a great collection of prints & I love that it is so red!  I thought they might be able to use it for fundraising now but they've decided to save it for the major event in February around Valentine's Day.  

It feels good to be quilting again for the community.  I still have a few tops to finish and I'll find some places for them to go.  

I've picked up quite a few t-shirt quilt commissions.  That's good news since I am still in training about selling machines.  The hourly is very low and the longarm work helps offset the (lack of) a decent salary.




6 comments:

cq4fun said...

That's a great quilt and will be perfect for a Valentine's auction. I love the look of it. I'm glad you're picking up the commissions. How long are you in training? Are you then on commission, for the most part?

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Training is supposed to be for 3 months but I have a feeling they will relax that because, otherwise, I am not bringing in any money to the business. It's hourly + commission.

Suztats said...

Super quilt for a love-day auction. I hope it raises lots of money for the community. Hope those t-shirt quilt commissions multiply--and the training goes quickly.

ladyhawthorne said...

It's a beautiful quilt for a great cause. Things will work out for you, look how far you have come!

Barbara C said...

It's great to see one of your finished quilts again. I love all that red!

Judy S. said...

That quilt will have people fighting to own it! I used to work for a nonprofit that had an annual auction and know how much donated items are appreciated. Bless you, Debra, for your generous heart.