November 10, 2015

Barbara's Chevron Cowl


I love cowls, especially those knit from gradient yarns.  For this project I knit Lisa Bruce's free pattern  Favorite Scarf Ever,  with one ball of Lion Amazing, alternating with a ball of solid violet cotton and acrylic.  When the solid violent ran out, I threw in a bit of grey wool.
 

The contrast is most dramatic with the grey, but still noticeable throughout.


I got a brainstorm when I realized that the zig-zags on each end would fit together like puzzle pieces.  I stitched the ends together through the back loop of the last row of stitches, and alacazam! I have a cowl.

This knit up fast on size 10 needles and worsted-aran weight yarns, and I love the results.  This goes into my stockpile of holiday gifts.

6 comments:

cq4fun said...

That is a big color shift! I like it as a cowl, and even if you wear it as a scarf, you don't have to worry about it falling off somehow! Good design.

Cyra said...

Wow, love those gradients. What a neat gift.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

Not bad for a beginner! :-)

I picked up a fabulous capelet at my recent craft show that buckles in the front. I'll have to take another look at it but I believe it is knitted.

Suztats said...

That's a pretty cowl with the colour changes. Nice pattern, so I'm off to check out the link. Thanks.

Judy S. said...

Nice work! I had the same result when I knit a cowl in the feather and fan pattern; the 2 ends fit together perfectly also. I made socks a while ago with the chevron pattern; it's great fun with self-striping yarn. Now I need to go check out your pattern link, thanks!!

ladyhawthorne said...

You are so good, a great idea to work in that grey. Looks very fashionable and warm.