September 1, 2015

Debra Who?: From Strips to Totebags

In the last few months I've started a business with a new local friend called The Good Stuff Company.  We are manufacturing home goods such as quilts, pillows, totebags and aprons.   We are doing our best to keep the sewing machines running.  We have a handful of fall festivals & retail space where we are selling our products.  Toward that end I have been developing ideas to work through the massive stash of supplies I own.  As we all know, scraps abound!

I sent some to Angela who kindly agreed to sew them to a base fabric.  I decided that totebags will be more profitable than quilts so have sewn them into 18" wide units.  I stacked the units one after another and quilted them.  I recently purchased a stack of felted "blankets" that I believe are moving pads.  It is working splendidly as batting.  The backing is reclaimed cotton shower curtains.

My plan is to make a totebag that uses the quilted fabric without a lining (hence the pretty backing) and I'll cover the seams with binding.  I'll try to post pictures when a totebag is finished.




In other news, I've been single in my Houston house a year now.  August 21st was when I returned. Sadly, that is also the day I wrecked my Corvette.  Ironic, eh?  Still waiting on the final verdict.  Pray it isn't totaled.

:-)

7 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

I think this is a cool idea of the strips for a tote bag. Everyone needs at least one tote bag, right?

Barbara C said...

It's good to see you here again! I love seeing your projects, and I'm enjoying my lovely totebag, which hold lots of yarn these days.

Too bad about the car. I'm sorry to hear about the accident, and I hope it can be saved.

Cyra said...

Well hello Debra Who, glad to see your lovely fabrics turning into tote bags. Congrats on the business projects, and I'm so sorry about the vette. Hope it is repairable.

Suztats said...

I've been watching your company projects on FB. They look wonderful, and I think the tote bags are a good idea. Sad about the 'vette. I hope it can be fixed. So nice to see you here again!

Debra Dixon said...

If I can get my rear in gear and remember to post, it would be good to have the company!

cq4fun said...

Wow, the 'vette is taking a long time to evaluate! What are you driving instead? It looks like you are moving full steam ahead manufacturing products to sell. =)

Judy S. said...

Good to see your post, Debra; we've all missed you! So sorry to hear about your car~that happened on our anniv. #50; bad stuff isn't supposed to happen on that date. Hope it's fixable. Your tote bags look terrific! They should sell well, too.