September 1, 2015

Angela ~ Lots of Sewing, No Embroidery

I took the pile of random fabric and cut pieces to length...
They are random widths.  Then I sew them to a base fabric to make a 50" strip.  It's pretty easy, once you have one piece in place you lay another matching the end, face to face.  Sew it in place, flip it open and iron it, and do it all over again.
You end up with these which are actually 6" wide by 50ish " long.  Then I send them off to Debra who uses them to make quilts by adding a plain fabric between strips and a border.

I also worked on a simple jacket for job interviews, for a more professional appearance.
It's really a charcoal grey with a printed linen texture.  I wanted something I could wear with anything and here I put it over a blue t-shirt.  It took some revision of the pattern to make it fit.  I am always amazed that designers think every large person must also be 7 feet tall with long legs and arms.  Just like slacks, I had to cut 4" off the length and the sleeves and take in the area under the arms so I didn't look like I was wearing a potato sack.  It turned out nice, french seamed because the fabric was a loose weave and frayed easily.  Unfortunately I did not get the job I interviewed for.  Oh, well, onward!

7 comments:

Suztats said...

A shame you didn't get the job. Perhaps the next one has your name on it. I'll bet you looked fab in your new jacket.

desertskyquilts said...

But now you have a professional jacket for any job interview, and you'll be the only one who has seen it before. A job will come your way, but patience is so hard to maintain. I love your strips for Debra. Just wonderfully scrappy.

Moira said...

Great looking jacket! Here's hoping that a new job comes through soon for you.

Debra Lynn Dixon said...

and now those strips are quilted and destined for totebags instead of quilts!

Barbara C said...

It's nice to see your work for Debra. Your jacket came out beautifully, and I hope you'll get to wear it soon for an interview.

Cyra said...

Lots of lovely stitching on those strips, and they look random and colourful.
The jacket is a very nice style and looks comfortable to wear. Hope something comes your way soon.

Judy S. said...

So nice of you to help out Debra! Love your new jacket, and hope you find the job you want soon. Hugs!