March 3, 2015

Barbara Checks In


I've been MIA for awhile, but going back to work after having a semester off for sabbatical has meant a bit of an adjustment in my schedule.  Then, of course, working and being around a lot of people during the height of the cold and flu season meant that I got what was going around, which knocked me off my game for a few weeks.  I'm happy to be well again.

In the meantime, I made another rag rug on my rigid heddle loom.  I posted a tutorial in 2012, which still brings me lots of blog traffic.   I used a slightly longer 65" warp with this project, and I'll probably go even longer next time.



For this rug I used red cotton for the warp, and various red prints for the weft.


It's a yummy rug for the kitchen.


Off the needles, I finished a pair of socks.   I love knitting striped socks as I can measure my progress with the color changes.   It's hard to stop sometimes because I want to see what the next color will look like.

6 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Oooh! I just love woven rugs, I have several, one of which was my grandmother's. Love the red colors in yours too.

Those socks look warm, good time of year to have some.

Cyra said...

Lovely to see you are back on board Barbara. I like to follow your rigid heddle work as it encourages me to hurry up and finish what I'm working on so that I can let my rigid heddle out of the box again. Poor thing has been in there far too long and I am inspired by your rug.
Love your striped socks. Lovely colours.

Suztats said...

Your rug would certainly jazz up my kitchen. What a hit of nice hot colour. You know how much I admire knitted socks (and those who knit them!). These remind me of the ones my mom used to knit for my dad.

cq4fun said...

Love your rug and the colors that come through the red. I was just thinking the other day I needed to make something for my kitchen - that and the bathroom have ceramic tile floors and it's cold in the morning!

Moira said...

Love the rug. Makes me wanna make one myself....but i know better than to get started on another craft. Will just dream about yours.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love the rug - I really would love to learn to weave some day.