January 27, 2015

Debra: Quilted Yardage

When I visited with my mentor at SCORE Houston (division of SBA), he suggested I look at my quilts as yardage.  He felt I could make more money cutting the pieces into smaller shapes for something like pillows.  The economics looked like:  One quilt or wallhanging for $400 or 10 pillows @$100 each for $1000.  It didn't take much for me to see the logic in his idea!

He recommended I market to the interior design business.
So, I've started the journey toward turning some fabrics into yardage that can become something else.  I picked up these 5 men's shirts Sunday at the thrift store for $10.  I used a thrifted fleece blanket ($2.32) and some plain navy backing given to me.  So, for what might be 9 pillows, I will probably only have to buy plain canvas for the backing at regular retail (or not!).  It's about as inexpensive as I think I can possibly get.

The major tasks in front of me are building a portfolio and inventory.  Nose to the grindstone time.





I really love the straight line quilting for a modern look.

8 comments:

Deborah McLaughlin said...

That is so cool and what a great idea. I could see those for sale in a very upscale home dec store. You may start a new trend.

Debra Dixon said...

My mentor thought interior designers would like my work--it's a little different and they are always looking for different items for their clients.

He also suggested upscale gift shops too.

Judy S. said...

Sounds like great advice! Aren't there some upscale fabric shops also? It sounds like you are making the"ingredients" for pillow kits?

ladyhawthorne said...

I agree, it's great advice! The fabric looks so cool, bet lots of the younger folks will like it too.

cq4fun said...

I especially like this particular piece you've shown. I can see the economic sense of what he advised.

Moira said...

I agree with Susan! Can't beat the return on investment with the prices you've been paying for the shirts. Keep an eye for coupons from Joann's they will help get the cost for the backing down.

Suztats said...

Fabulous idea, and buying thrifty is a bonus. These will make great pillows. Hope you have good luck with the designers/shops.

Barbara C said...

It sounds like you've gotten some great advice. How about plain muslin for the pillow backs?