January 6, 2015

Cy - New Beginnings - New CQJP

  CQJP 2015  

My goal for the Crazy Quilt Journal Project for 2015 is to stitch one block a month as per the guideline/requirements.

The fabrics that I shall be using this year for my Crazy Quilt blocks will all be neutrals and whites, with some of the neutrals being my hand-dyed fabrics.


And, because I am expecting to be 'on-the-road' (or at least in the caravan) for most of the year, I am putting some limitations on what I can do, such as:

Embroidery threads will be the predominant form of embellishing.
Each block will have a different colour scheme (I'm hoping this will add interest in the finished quilt).
I will not be following the colour wheel, but will jump to whatever colour appeals at the time.
Beads, sequins & charms will not be used, as I wont be able to travel very well with them.
(I may add beads etc. in one go, at the very end, after ALL the 12 blocks have been made).
Crochet lace or embellishing will be made specifically for each block.
There will be no main overall theme for the blocks.
I will be experimenting more with patterns and the build up of combination seam treatments.
The blocks will be entirely hand-stitched, which includes the piecing of the naked blocks.

My first hand-stitched naked block - January


And the first bit of seam embellishing has begun.
This block is (obviously) going to be a RED colour scheme.


The dark fabrics here are not as dark in real life as they show in the photo.

9 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Gorgeous! I especially like the composite seam on the right side.

Cyra said...

Thanks Angela, I'll be 'building' it up some more in the coming weeks of January.

cq4fun said...

A very pretty beginning! Neutrals like these are so delightful to stitch.

Moira said...

Wonderful! Compound seams are ones I always have more trouble with so I am looking forward to seeing yours.

Judy S. said...

Looks great, Cy, and you started with my favorite color! I love the neutral look.

Suztats said...

Love the natural palette for your background. The red really stands out well, and those seams are looking good!

Debra Dixon said...

Yep, digging this already.

Barbara C said...

Very nice block, and your goals are so clear. I hope you have smooth sailing through this project.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love it. Looking forward to seeing it progress.