January 20, 2015

Barbara's Charity Knitting


I found a bunch of superbulky wool at the thrift store, not knowing what I might do with it.  When the call went out for mittens for children,  I thought I might be able to do some magic.


These mittens are going to children in one school, so I wanted each pair to be different.  I dyed the wool in batches ( and a couple of finished mittens) with Wilton's food coloring, the kind for cake decorating, and a big slug of vinegar.  The washing, dyeing, and vinegar treatment really softened up the wool.

I used Susan B. Anderson's free pattern Outsider Mittens.  It's a quick pattern on number 13 needles, though I made some pairs with number 11s, and I liked the firmer fabric.  The pattern is available in three sizes. 

I hope these will keep some children warmer through the winter months.

6 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I love mittens! Not much call for them now but they were always a favorite when I lived in Chicago.

Hope the kiddos like these!

ladyhawthorne said...

Love all the colors and they look so warm.

Cyra said...

I remember mittens with the long thread joining them so you can keep them attached to the sleeves of your coat and not lose them.
Great job Barbara.

Suztats said...

I still wear mittens on some winter days. I remember the ones my Mom used to make for us with one long thread joining them together. That way you could remove them from your hands, but they never got lost--just dangled from your coat sleeves. They could dry well that way, too, once your coat was hung up on the hooks at school.
There'll be some warm little hands at the school now.

desertskyquilts said...

I would never have thought to use those dyes, but they really gave bright colors, didn't they? These look wonderful and I think children will love them.

Judy S. said...

I'll bet you made a bunch of kids very happy, Barbara! Nice work.