January 6, 2015

Already Regrouping

So much for the B&W CQ. I made one block and decided NO. I cannot do another 2 color CQ. I'm still using the Marilyn "silkies" I bought but now I'm thinking I'll go with pastels and more of the old linens I have. This, after buying all that black & white fancy stuff. Oh well. I'll have to dream up something to do with it.

All of that means that already I am behind with the CQJP.

But, here are some photos of two quilts I have been working on for a friend's new baby girl and his 5 year old. I could not bear the thought of giving the new baby a quilt without having one for the big sister:


One is a strip quilt. I'm going to do the disappearing 9 patch for the other one.



Also, a couple of mug rugs that I was making for gifts but didn't get finished. This one was just a cute scrap that was in a bag I bought from Etsy. 


A Craftsy pattern.


Then this mess. Surely I can come up with something creative to do with these trimmings??  Put them out for the birds to build nests maybe?

This is a pretty big year for me. I will be 65 in March. I could retire this year. I would like to hang in there until next March when I would reach my full retirement age and get more money. But  I'm feeling pretty burned out right now, and like it's time to move on. There's a lot I want to do while I am in good shape physically and mentally (which has always been debatable). I expect to stay in good health for a long, long time but not taking anything for granted. I enjoy what I do but the world is changing and I find that I'm just not that interested in technology, which is where everything in my profession is headed. I do not care about the difference in ePubs and PDFs and WMAs and MP3s. I'm tired of digital this and downloadable that. It's fascinating and boring at the same time if that makes any sense.

So stay tuned. I feel big changes in the air.




8 comments:

cq4fun said...

I know someone who stuffs dog beds with stuff like that. I just toss it in the garbage. Sometimes trash is just trash, and it's okay. Love your little quilts - and applaud your decision on the CQ. I haven't made my first block yet, but they are smaller this year, so it will be okay. Why not sell all your black and white fancies on that facebook site everyone talks about?

Debra said...

Ha, ha! because she bought it all on that site! LOL!

You can send those trimmings to me. I can use them for my raw edge work.

I think the B&W with colors could be fun. I did that with the Sewing CQ & it helped to move to a new color each month.

Suztats said...

Love the colours in your girl quilts, and the cupcake mug rug. Fun!

ladyhawthorne said...

All your projects look great! And let Debra use up those trimmings, a win for both of you.

I know what you mean about technology, sometimes I like it and most times I hate it. But I have always felt I was born several hundred years too late.

Cyra said...

I see there are some really great projects on your to-do list. Luv the mug rugs.
Personally, I love the B&W theme, but I did that already, and so I'm moving onto something different this year. It would have been nice to follow your B&W blocks, but hey, I shall be watching with even more interest now to see what you come up with, lol.

Judy S. said...

Sounds like a busy year for you! It's good to have you back. Technology can be very annoying, but when our modem konked out, we quickly learned how much we depend on it. Even though I have a Kindle, I still love REAL books!

Barbara C said...

I love your mug rugs. They're so colorful and clever. I think that last year before retirement must feel extra-long for a lot of people. Hang in there.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I'll just hang on to the fabric & use it some other time. Who knows, I may even go back to my original idea.

Debra, I will put those trimmings in the mail. You are welcome to them.

Retirement: seeing the light at the end of a long tunnel.