November 4, 2014

Fitzy - CQRR Block for Turkey

This is the status of my recent stitching. Some of it I love, some of it...meh, not so much.

I'm a little disappointed that my pine boughs on the lower right don't show up as much as I would like, I may trade out the shad of green that occurred on two of the branches, lost in the blue. I used a variegated floss, and those 2 just ended up too dark. The boughs will have tiny beads to suggest snow and ice, I'll wait until the end to add those, and possibly a few more sprigs where needed. I'm glad to have this photo to be able to see the things I'd like to "fix".

There will be more trees to the right of the white one. I tried to make the smaller gray one on the left recede into the back by choosing a darker color perle, but the shape and thread choice isn't right. The gray tree will be replaced, but I'm looking for your suggestions.

As if I wasn't busy enough, we're on overtime at work, before-shortened lunch-and after. Ugh!

Gonna do my best this week, even if that is just getting one foot in front of the other!

8 comments:

Judy S. said...

Maybe add more needles to your pine boughs? I just finished picking up a bunch in the yard from the recent.windstorm, and they are thick with needles. Love the pinecones and your trees, too. It's going to be a nice block!

ladyhawthorne said...

I really like the pine boughs, your snow & ice plans sound lovely!

ladyhawthorne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara C said...

I think your pine boughs look great. The areas that are higher contrast help the eye to see the boughs in the blue area.

Cyra said...

Your block is coming along nicely Fitzy.
If you want to change the trees in the middle without unsewing them, pick a metallic (or glitzy) thread in green or grey and stitch in between what you have already stitched. It would give a bit of shimmer and look like snow on the boughs.

desertskyquilts said...

I love the look of the whole thing, especially the trees and the gray. I think that's the best part. It reminds me of Monument Valley.

Moira said...

Love what you're doing on this block!

Suztats said...

This block is coming along beautifully.