September 9, 2014

Fitzy - ONWARD-HO!

Whew! That's all I really have to say is, "WHEW!

We're finishing up our Monsoon season with a bang, Phoenix recorded their highest one-day rainfall total yesterday. All the rivers and washes were "running", and we found ourselves gazing at the water rushing, in hopes to remember what that river is supposed to look like. Any other time it is a dry wash, otherwise known as the Santa Cruz River! Here in Tucson, we didn't get great rain totals, but it rained for hours. A rain shower here generally lasts 10-15 minutes, so it was pretty darned exciting!

Since I completed the sashiko on my RR block, things are progressing. I manage to get a seam done here and there. This last weekend, I decided a cherry blossom branch would be good. The bottom of the block had a very straight horizon, and it needed breaking up. I think the branch is still a bit dark, but I'll wait until I've gotten closer to finishing the block to check the overall balance. A few more blossoms here and there should soften it up a bit.

I have yet to sew the lace on, but I will chose something to overcast the edge. I see a couple of the connections of the lace don't have their act together, which needs a remedy. I think sequins with beads will anchor the circular patterns on the lace.

Weekend before last, I purchased 3 asian themed beads and a patina'd Japanese coin to add as a medallion. I can't find them for the life of me, I've "organized" since then. I'm not alone, right?

Have a fabulous week!

7 comments:

Cyra said...

The cherry blossom is perfect for this block Fitzy, and yours looks fabulous in full bloom.
Good luck finding your embellishments. Yes, I know that feeling only too well. Yesterday I was looking for my recent purchase of some dusky pink sewing thread. Spent nearly all morning looking for it, then went to give son some money to buy milk, and I found my thread in my handbag, of course! Duh!

cq4fun said...

Oh, yes, love the branch. Looks SO good! I like where you placed the lace, too.

Judy S. said...

What a fun and pretty block! I love the cherry blossom branch and also the colors you've used in the whole block. Can't wait to see the rest of it when you find the missing pieces. I do that all the time.....

ladyhawthorne said...

Your branch is so pretty!

Geez, you just described me to a tee.

Barbara C said...

Yes, the flowering branch is lovely. The level of contrast is perfect--not too dark at all.

Suztats said...

The cherry blossom branch is so pretty! I love how it looks on your block. Nicely done!

Moira said...

Love the added branch and cherry blossoms!