This past week I pulled out one of my uncooperative projects that have been sitting in 'time-out' for a couple of years because it had refused to cooperate with me. This is a block robin that I did with some friends that I'm in an online quilt group with.
This block robin started with a piece of cross-stitch that I finished back in 1990. (Yes I have oodles of cross-stitch UFO's in addition to all of the quilty ones, but that is another story all together. LOL) Since getting the original blocks back in 2011 I have not made any progress on it because I just couldn't get them arranged in a way that I liked. Pic to the right shows how it looked as of the last time that I had tried to arranged the blocks and sections. The block
Last night i finally figured out that what was tripping me up were the pink/turquoise blocks that were arranged around one block. (No I didn't do that the person who made the block did.) That arrangement just kept the focus on that single block instead of playing nicely with all of the other parts.
Once I finally 'heard' what the quilt had been trying to tell me all along (ok so I'm a wee bit hard of hearing and stubborn at times) then the answer was apparent. So frog-stitching was the first order of the day today to remove the half-square triangle block border strips. Once that was done then I could rearrange the main blocks again and start filling in the gaps with all of the filler blocks that I already had.
Next up was to make a 9" block that brought more of the yellow from the cross-stitch into the quilt. For that I made an Ohio Star block with yellow points and a gold center. Next up to be made are a 6" block for the bottom left and about 7 - 3" blocks to fill in the bigger areas of the top. I'm still thinking about what to do with the star at the upper left. First thought is to take the turquoise framing strips off and replace them with WOW's ones. I'm sure that the quilt will let me know if it doesn't like my first idea....or the second one.....or third......lol. I'm just glad to be finally making progress on this critter.