August 19, 2014

Fitzy - Another dilemma needs your input...

My next CQ round robin quilt is Asian in theme. I'll save my photo for next week, since I've done nothing to it yet! I believe it contains kimono silks and already it's giving me a run for my money.

One of the large sections, just right of center, is absolutely screaming for Sashiko. Do I know HOW? Oh, heck no, but that's never stopped me. It's not hard, and even if it's not exactly like a master would do, it's my spin on it. (Oh please, did I just say that? You'll need to remind me, k?!)

Yes, yes, I'll get to the point. I cannot figure out how to get the pattern onto the block! It is too thick to transfer with a light box or window (tried). My white chalk pencil will NOT write on the fabric, it's probably satin. I tried poking a paper print of the pattern and chalk pouncing. Unsuccessful, and made a terrible mess. Today, I think I will poke a plastic template and see if a purple air soluble pen will fit through the poked holes. Of course, I don't own the chalk transfer paper...AND WANNA DO THIS WITHOUT WAITING FOR IT TO SHIP!!! It didn't get very good reviews anyway!

Who has a transfer-secret up their sleeve? This woman is desperate!

5 comments:

cq4fun said...

Several thoughts occur to me, and at worst you'd make a trip to JoAnn's. 1. Is it something you can trace on freezer paper? We used to make our own quilting stencils by using an Exacto knife to cut channels, tracing them and then making connections between the traced bits. 2. Could you trace it on waste canvas, baste that to your background, stitch it through, then remove the waste canvas? Pam Kellogg is the expert there. 3. Can you trace it on plastic wrap, pin it on and stitch through that, then remove the plastic wrap? I've done that on a Santa Claus one time and it was sort of a pain to remove, but it worked. That was close stitching, though.

ladyhawthorne said...

Wow, I have no ideas for you but can't wait to see it.

Barbara C said...

I've used both tear-away and water soluable stabilizer. Draw your design (or other markings) with permanent marker and let it dry. You'll know you wrote on the wrong side it it takes forever to dry. Baste around the edges and stitch through. It works very well.

Suztats said...

There's also doing the design on tissue paper and stitching through it, tearing away once done. Or you could do the design on a slip and sew it on top.
Here's the link to Erica Wilson demoing Shisha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fgZD960Xo

Moira said...

I would stitch through tissue paper because that will tear away easily.