July 8, 2014

Fitzy - The Old Pueblo

The Old Pueblo is Tucson's nickname. I love it, describes this place perfectly. It's just a dusty, sleepy, hot little town that goes pretty much unnoticed. That's okay by us. We're pretty much a backward place, not interested in anything that takes too much energy. It's just too darned hot sometimes (often). I snapped a picture last week with the temperature reading registering 115F with 7% humidity.

For just about ever, we've had some signage law in place, that you couldn't replace a sign with a new one...sorry, that's all the details I know. What resulted is companys leaving their old broken signs up, and I think they are perfectly charming! Other folks think of them as landmarks, I only see ART. I'm in a crazy quilting round robin with some friends on facebook, and here are 4 of my 6 blocks which will go into the mail this weekend. HA! I now see one isn't trimmed properly...geez Louise, lol.

Some of the photos are a little crowded, as they are not my photos. I'm not too worried about that, after CQing, they'll just be a little nice surprise for your eye.

Give me a day off, and I was able to get some things done, right? Don't let me fool you, I finished these at 4am yesterday before I went to work. Seriously. A Grandmother work friend wanted shirts for her grandson to match his birthday invitation. I haven't done something like this in YEARS, and I'm a little rusty. Not too bad for a quick throw-together; size 18M.

Sure feels good to get something accomplished, hope you find a way to make it a stellar week!

7 comments:

Cyra said...

Oh Fitzy, those signage cq blocks sure are 'quaint'. Love the idea.
Great job on the shirts too. Lucky little lad.

ladyhawthorne said...

Great job on the CQ squares, very nostalgic.

Judy S. said...

Love your CQ blocks. (We really enjoyed visiting Tucson a few years back.) Bet that Grandma was thrilled with those cute shirts!

cq4fun said...

The shirts are cute as anything! I love the cq blocks. I look forward to seeing the ones you work on, too. I don't remember if I mentioned I grew up in Tucson - went to Amphi High, in fact. I can NOT believe any of those signs are still up! Especially the No-Tel Motel. LOL Spanish Trail - wow, that sign was old when I moved to Tucson in 1960! You think it's sleepy now, you should have lived there then. LOL I would LOVE for it to be 115 with 7% humidity! We were 94 today, according to one forecast I saw, 86 at 1 pm, but humidity of 89%. Please be sure to show more of your swap blocks, and what you do.

Moira said...

I love those CQ squares - esp. since I spent the better part of 30 yrs in Phx and am seriously considering moving back there depending on where i can find a better paying job. Tucson is definitely a possibility for me. =)

Suztats said...

Grandmother is sure to be pleased with those T's, they are so cute! Love the CQ blocks!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Moira, check the Pima County website, we're posting jobs every Friday (and 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix!)!