July 16, 2014

Completed Wedding Quilt and frustrations


Sorry to be running late on this post, I ended up working all day yesterday and did not get my post written before leaving for work at the store.

While the wedding quilt was finished in time for last weeks post, I presented it to my nephews bride this past Friday night when I met her for the first time.   She's a lovely gal and will be a sweet niece-in-law.    She loved the quilt and why I choose the colors I used in the quilt.  =)




The on-going project that I've been working on this week is my challenge quilt.   I finally figured out the layout, and have that much of it looking like I want it to.   However, it is being totally stubborn with me and the wording that I need to add to it to complete the quilt just is not cooperating with me.


The theme this year of the challenge that I am in is "Illuminated Letters".   As always those of us in the challenge can interpret the theme in any way that we want to.   I ended up with the letter "T" and chose to use the word 'Tree' as my starting point for the quilt.

The quilt will show a forest that comes right down to the waters of a lake/stream and then are reflected in the water.   I have the material ready to fuse for all of that, and will be using a royal blue, shiny tulle overlay over the reflected trees and water to delineate where and what they are.  The tulle will be scrunched and bunched to show the surface of the water, and will be quilted down as I quilt that part of the quilt.  

The upper part of the quilt will have a large letter 'T' on it, and then a Bible verse (Jeremiah 17:8).   I'd planned on doing the verses in cross-stitch on linen and then stitching them down on the quilt, however my attempts at the cross-stitch are now working out the way that I want them to.   So plans are continuing to evolve.  At the moment, I'm probably going to cross-stitch a large letter "T", and then applique it onto the quilt top.   Then will write the verses either directly onto the quilt top or onto a piece of linen that will then be added to the quilt top.   I have a plan for the quilting, and will do that on my mid-arm machine.   Am hoping to get it done next week because it needs to go into the mail before the end of the first week of August.

6 comments:

Suztats said...

The wedding quilt looks wonderful! I'm so glad she liked it, too.
Your illuminated letter quilt sounds unique and I'm looking forward to seeing how the water looks once you've done your magic!

Judy S. said...

The wedding quilt is stunning! No wonder she loved it. Like Suz, I can't wait to see your "Tree" quilt finished. What an ambitious project! Where are you sending it off to?

Moira said...

It will be in a special exhibition at the Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza in September. =)

Cyra said...

Oh that Wedding quilt is gorgeous Moira. Such a treasure for them to keep as a family heirloom.

I really like your idea for the T quilt. I can just imagine the ripples in the water and I like your technique for the reflection in the water. It looks great so far.

Munir said...

The quilt is beautiful Best wishes to the couple to be.

ladyhawthorne said...

Love that wedding quilt and the tree is intriguing to say the least!