July 1, 2014

Barbara's Quandary (and Some Weaving)


The butterfly quilt is still unfinished and I think I may be talking myself out of adding borders. It's 78x 78" and after straightening up my linen closet and quilt truck I realized I really don't need another big quilt.  As is, it will fit nicely on the twin bed in my sewing room.  Any advice before I take it down from the design wall?


While I mull over the future of my quilt, I've done a little weaving.  This lovely scarf was warped with a solid lavender sock yarn, and the weft was a self-striping sock yarn, alternating with a sparkly variegated yarn.


I used the sparkly yarn to break up the solid sections of the self-striping yarn.  The patterned parts of the self-striping yarn wove up into some nice geometric patterns.


Now I'm weaving a sock yarn warp with a variegated wool blend.  That's eyelash yarn in the warp along the sides.  I've picked up several colors in the thrift store and I'm experimenting with weaving with them.  I like the pop of texture it gives.

7 comments:

Cyra said...

Oh my! I love, love, love.
A great idea for the eyelash yarn. I have heaps of that yarn and was wondering how to use it.
It's no good...I shall have to get my loom out of the storage shipping container....you have inspired me with your weaving Barbara....nice work.

Suztats said...

I love the weaving! I've always wanted to learn how to weave on a loom (I've done a bit of off-loom weaving and really liked it!) There is no ruddy time! sigh......

Debra said...

Brilliant idea for the eyelash yarn. That stuff is wretched.

ladyhawthorne said...

I say go for simple with the butterflies, let them stand on their own.

Love the weaving, my favorite colors too!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love your border on the butterfly quilt, it really does finish it up quite well. Maybe just lay the flimsy out on the spare bed for awhile until you decide?

LOVE the weaving! (Especially the sparkly yarn addition.

Judy S. said...

LOVE that scarf! Perfect color choices, too, and what a fun way to use eyelash yarn. Whatever way you finish the butterfly quilt will be just right. I love it, too!

cq4fun said...

No borders is traditional TN! Go for it.