July 29, 2014

Barbara's Fleece-backed Quilts and Crocheted Mittens


The fleece-backed nap quilts are a success.  I found some  1-yard remnants at the fabric store, and minimally quilted them wrong sides together.


The backing was about 2 inches larger than the quilt top on all sides, and I turned the excess fabric to the front of the quilt and zig zagged it down.  Easy as pie.


 ...And really cuddly too.  If I wanted to be fancy, I would've mitred the corners, but I'm not often fancy.


This week I also crocheted some scrappy preschooler mittens from Yarnville's free pattern Mrs. Murdock's Mittens.  It's an interesting patten with a few new tricks, but once I did one, it was easy going from there.  The pattern comes in three sizes: preschool, older kids, and women's and the mittens come out very thick. 

I put up a website for my book:  have a look and send me some feedback if you have any suggestions.

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Super projects all around!!!

Judy S. said...

I love fleece-backed quilts! Fun mittens, too. And I'm off to check the website.

Judy S. said...

Great website, too! I love that you're wearing a colorful crocheted scarf. And the discussion questions are excellent as well as the linked poetry analysis guide. Both should be very helpful for the teachers! Nice work. Oh, and of course I'm glad you included the cover of the book on your home page!

ladyhawthorne said...

Both the blankets and the mittens look cozy and colorful, two of my favorite things!

Cyra said...

Oh wow, cozy lap quilts and gorgeous mitts. Great job.
I'm off to visit your book page now.

Cyra said...

Barbara, I have just 'got back' from your book website and have found it all very interesting and absorbing.
Congrats on your prize, and congrats on creating such a wonderful resource.
I have put your book on my 'Christmas wish-list'. Thank you.

Suztats said...

The fleece backed quilts will be so cuddly warm in the cool weather. So cute, too. Love the mittens. Off to check out the link.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Nice projects you've accomplished, as usual! Maybe someday when I grow up?!