June 24, 2014

Susan: No CQ

Ugh. I fell down on the job completely this week. I still have a section traced, and another idea for a seam I want to do, but I just didn't get there. It was yet another of those weeks where life beat up my calendar and the calendar lost.

I did get to do a very minimal amount of sewing. I put these house blocks together last Monday. There were about 70 of them donated to me, so these are the red and blue ones. This goes off to American Heroes for a child who has lost a parent.



Then, Saturday, the final stitching I'm going to do on my Comfort and Joy Christmas quilt. This is only about half the blocks, but it's way past time to be finished, and I don't see myself doing the other half, so I'm calling it over.


Today, I cut some strips and cornerstones to put together 12 BOM blocks from last year, but didn't sew a single stitch. I'm SO woefully behind on everything I planned to do the first six months of the year. I think it's time to toss that plan and start over with a new one. Sometimes we just can't predict what's going to happen, and it's silly to keep fighting the current.

9 comments:

Suztats said...

The house quilt looks great! Kudos.
Your Comfort and Joy quilt looks very Christmassy.
It's great to have goals, but sometimes life gets in the way, so perhaps they are best as a guide only, and not be taken too seriously. My 2 cents.

ladyhawthorne said...

I like the Christmas quilt as it is, sometimes smaller is better.

Love the house blocks and such a great use for them!

I think we all know how life gets in the way sometimes.

cq4fun said...

Thanks to both of you! I like the affirmation of what I've been thinking. I'm letting go of some goals, and easing up on myself for not meeting others. I have been stitching this afternoon, with company here, and Aunt Jo's block is almost finished until I piece the blocks together and put something in the corners. It really IS okay if I don't finish 12 blocks this year. That I'm finishing any at all is a miracle all by itself. =)

Judy S. said...

That's two more quilts than I did this past week. Besides someone has put the clock on fast forward lately! There aren't any CQ police are there?

Barbara C said...

I think it's fine to give yourself more time. This is supposed to be fun. I saw an interview with an art quilter recently who said it takes her 2 years to make a quilt. 12 blocks in a year is a lot.

Debra said...

Yea, I totally get the idea "fighting the current". Why do that, really?

QuiltingFitzy said...

Don't worry about getting behind, we'll just have to live longer to get it all done! Lots of good things going on there.

Cyra said...

Love the red and blue houses, and such a good cause to be making the quilt for.
The Joy quilt is cheerful and fun, and will add to the decor when all the decorations go up. Nice work Susan.
I hear what you are saying about time disappearing fast this year. Personally, I think it must be something to do with losing our ability to meet time/motion head on as we get older, ;)

cq4fun said...

Well, I just read an article on themarysue.com that talks about a new theory that light DOESN'T always travel at the same speed and that's why some light from a supernova arrived here 4.7 hours late. Given that it would upset everything in our understanding of the cosmos if it were true, I'm going with it's a *universal* problem. =)