June 3, 2014
Barbara's Changed Ways
I got the center of my butterfly quilt pieced. Those big blocks are very forgiving, a good thing since my piecing skills have gotten a little rusty from disuse.
I have lots of this bubblegum pink for the inner border, so that was an easy decision, but the outer border stumped me. I tried a few different pieced blocks, and I struggled with the size these blocks should be.
In the end I decided on a simple string of 4-patch blocks, which emphasizes the hominess of the quilt. Also, I'm determined not to add any of the left-over fabric back into my stash. Whatever doesn't get used up by the border, will go into one or more baby quilts I can set aside for gifts. I'm shooting for an empty drawer where this project's supplies once lived. I think I can do it.
I want to finish this quilt and get if off the design wall. In the past, I'd have let it marinate in the closet before I tackled the borders, but I think I'm slowly changing my ways.