June 17, 2014

Barbara's Abundance


Lucky me, I was in New York last week to do a poetry reading at Bryant Park, as part of the Word for Word series.  Lucky me, I stayed in midtown, near the Garment District.  There's an active zone of production and distribution in the area, which includes clusters of fabric stores for retail and wholesale, handbag shops, and costume jewelry stores.  I spent a pleasant afternoon scouting supplies for my next crazy quilt.  The trims above are from Daytona Trimmings on W 39th St.


I picked up these beads on clearance in a large shop that I happened upon.


These trims are from the large, well-lit and extraordinarily well-stocked M & J Trimming on 6th Ave.  I especially like the velvet trims.


Lucky me, once I got home (with a terrible cold--I seem to pay for my travels by getting sick lately) my daughter was here to celebrate her birthday.  Yes, that's a number 26 on her cake, where does the time go? 

10 comments:

Suztats said...

Lucky you staying behind and discovering all those trims! Smart move. I'm really drawn to the pattern of the peach (?) trim in photo 1.

Cyra said...

Lucky you gathering all those embellishments. Lucky me when I get to see the start of your next CQ.
What a treat to celebrate with your daughter. Mine only comes home once a year, twice if I'm lucky.

Judy S. said...

What fun! I hope you brought home a whole suitcase full of goodies. Did you read from your latest book? Bet that was a fun experience also. I agree that someone has put all clocks on "fast forward". My baby just turned 39, and we won't even mention what I turned 2 days later.

Barbara C said...

My daughter only moved away a few months ago, so the separation is still pretty new, but she's been good about staying in touch and visiting. She's 6 hours away, so the trip is manageable. I'd be sad if I only saw her a couple of times a year. The things we endure to give our daughters wings, right?

Barbara C said...

Yes, I read from my new book, which was really fun. I guess we can hope that we're getting a measure of wisdom to match our years. Happy birthday, I hope it was a great one.

Barbara C said...

There was really too much to choose from in the shops I visited. It was a real feast for the eyes.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Gorgeous trims & gorgeous daughter! Congratulations on the reading!

Moira said...

Sounds like you had fun while in NYC, and came back with some lovely goodies.

Debra Spincic said...

Nice little bit of stash enhancement; especially the beads!
A&A really look alike in this picture.

cq4fun said...

Love the family photo, love the trims, love that you had such a marvelous time in NYC! Remember that song sung by a dad? "Turn around, turn around, turn around and you're a young girl going out on your own." It's a speedy process, though during potty training, it doesn't seem so.