May 20, 2014

Susan: March Beginnings

Still can't comment on this and most other Blogspot blogs. I have done everything, up to and including unplugging the wifi to get a new IP number. I can't comment in WordPress mode, LiveJournal mode, Google mode, Open Access, or even Anonymously. Today is three weeks since this started. I am able to comment on a FEW blogs, but there's no pattern to which ones I can.

Here's the bare block for the March CQJP. This is Aunt Jo, the aunt of a friend of mine, Candi. Aunt Jo did a lot of bringing up of Candi, just as my own Aunt Bobbie brought me up after my mother died. I feel some kinship to Aunt Jo because of that. I decided to do Aunt Jo's block before Mama's because I'm not ready to do Mama's yet. I will know when it's time, and this isn't the time.


I love the braided look on this block. Here are the first three stitchings I did on Friday night.


The green, yellow and blue seam was inspired by something I saw on one of Margreet's hexagons. The link takes you to her Flickr account and you can see some of them.

The purplish seam was inspired by Suztats a few weeks ago, and the wheels were on the same hexagon that Margreet stitched. Making them change size was inspired by the shape of the linen under Aunt Jo's picture. There are beads in the center of those.

8 comments:

Debra said...

I changed the settings on this blog so maybe that will help.

I like that hibiscus fabric!

Cyra said...

Aunt Jo looks to be. a lovely gentle-woman. She looks very approachable and kindly. This is reflected in the fabrics you have on the block too. Love your combination stitched seam.

Suztats said...

I like the warm tones of your fabrics. Great seams! I like the graduated wheels- a good idea! Nice start.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Mama will wait, she was patient like that, no? Can't wait to see Auntie's block develop. I'm such your study!

ladyhawthorne said...

Just so lovely!
Hope the commenting thing resolves itself soon.

Barbara C said...

I like hearing about Aunt Jo. I'm sure your block will be a wonderful tribute to her.

Moira said...

I love your work! And still like how you do the buttonhole flowers. Those just find a place with my garden kitty.

Judy S. said...

Your moms quilt is going to be so beautiful, Susan. I'm sorry about your posting issues and hope you figure it out soon.