May 20, 2014

Barbara's Report: Baby Duds and an Interview


One of Michael's nephews is expecting a baby, so I knitted up these little things to include with a present we're sending.  The yarn is fingering weight sock yarn, so it's machine washable even though it's wool.  It's very satisfying to knit for little babies because the projects generally are pretty quick.  Once I turned the heel on the little socks, it was almost time to start the toe decreases. 

I'm finishing up grading, and looking forward to the Summer and Fall, when I have a sabbatical.  I've got some writing projects lined up, but I also have a crazy quilt planned as well.  The subject of the quilt will be Mexican Jenny, the protagonist of the title poem of my book. 

I had a chance recently to talk about the book and about Jenny and quilts in an interview on the Letras Latinas blog.  The interviewer had some good questions about quilting and it's significance to Mexican Jenny's story and to my book.  Now that I've told Jenny's story in words, I want to tell it in fiber. 

7 comments:

Debra said...

Yes, telling Jenny's story in fiber is going to be a treat for all who see it!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love your baby items, and the color...OH! Love it.

ladyhawthorne said...

Way cool!

Cyra said...

Great work on the baby garments, and congrats on the interview. It's nice to get acknowledgement for something like your book. I'll look forward to following the progress of the CQ.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love the little baby things; i've never attempted to knit anything that tiny. Congratulations on the book - an interesting story. The lives of the women who lived in the West in those days is very interesting. I became intrigued after reading Wallace Stegner's book, Angle of Repose which is based on the life of Mary Hallock Foote. The real story of the West is quite different from what we were often led to believe.

Suztats said...

Those baby items are too cute! Love that shade of blue. Fabulous about the interview, and I look forward to fiber Jenny.

Judy S. said...

Your socks and hat turned out great, Barbara. I love the I-cord top for baby hats, too. It will be so fun to see your fiber portrayal of your book; I can't wait!