May 6, 2014
Barbara's Project Round-Up
Between gardening, grading papers, and recovering from yet another cold, I finished knitting Different Breeze, which after blocking measures 6 x 74 inches. Knitting the long color changes was fun, and the scarf is very stylish. The blocking opened up the stitches very nicely. I haven't decided whether to wear this myself, or save it for a future gift.
I did a bit of work on my butterfly quilt. I finished cutting the triangles, and I'm slowly sewing borders on the butterfly blocks. The unsewn pieces take up my whole design wall, which is a flat queen sheet. I even had to move the sewing machine table away from the wall to lay out blocks behind it. Sewn together it will be considerably smaller, so I'm starting to think about what kind of border will look nice on this quilt
I was one butterfly block short, and instead of making one more--something I really didn't want to do, I dug up four small applique blocks I bought some time ago in a thrift store. I think they've finally found their true calling in this quilt.
And I spent a quiet Saturday morning crocheting up this throw rug from t-shirt yarn (the light blue) and strips of old sheets (light blue and tan). This was an improvisational project: a simple single crochet stitch, I just added enough extra stitches in the corners to keep it flat. Of all the rugs I've made, I've found knit and crocheted ones to be the most durable, and they're machine wash and dry. This one will probably go to my daughter, who mentioned she needs some small rugs for her apartment.
Not bad work for a busy time of year. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to summer vacation from work.