May 6, 2014

Barbara's Project Round-Up



Between gardening, grading papers, and recovering from yet another cold, I finished knitting Different Breeze, which after blocking measures 6 x 74 inches.  Knitting the long color changes was fun, and the scarf is very stylish.  The blocking opened up the stitches very nicely.  I haven't decided whether to wear this myself, or save it for a future gift.


I did a bit of work on my butterfly quilt.  I finished cutting the triangles, and I'm slowly sewing borders on the butterfly blocks. The unsewn pieces take up my whole design wall, which is a flat queen sheet.  I even had to move the sewing machine table away from the wall to lay out blocks behind it.  Sewn together it will be considerably smaller, so  I'm starting to think about what kind of border will look nice on this quilt


I was one butterfly block short, and instead of making one more--something I really didn't want to do, I dug up four small applique blocks I bought some time ago in a thrift store.  I think they've finally found their true calling in this quilt.


And I spent a quiet Saturday morning crocheting up this throw rug from t-shirt yarn (the light blue) and strips of old sheets (light blue and tan).  This was an improvisational project: a simple single crochet stitch, I just added enough extra stitches in the corners to keep it flat.  Of all the rugs I've made, I've found knit and crocheted ones to be the most durable, and they're machine wash and dry.  This one will probably go to my daughter, who mentioned she needs some small rugs for her apartment.

Not bad work for a busy time of year.  Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to summer vacation from work.

12 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Your butterfly quilt is going to be a feast for the eyes with all the great retro prints. The little flower & bug blocks were a super find and good thinking to put them in the quilt.

ladyhawthorne said...

Good choice for the center of the quilt! The scarf is lovely and very stylish and the rug is cute, what size is it?

Judy S. said...

Hmmm.....might have to try that scarf! I love what you did with the center block of the butterfly quilt; it's beautiful! Great idea for old t-shirts, etc.; what size hook did you use? For some reason crocheting makes my hand hurt; must be my death grip on the hook!

Cyra said...

Oh, gotta love those gorgeous fabrics. I really like what you did with the ladybird block. Your butterflies are super-cute. I could see a narrow-ish border first in middle tone, followed by a light tone wide, solid colour, strip that could have applique vines, or something similar, winding back and forth.
Love the rug. I really must have a go at that one day. What width do you make your t-shirt 'yarn'?

QuiltingFitzy said...

The extra block is priceless! Not sure about a border idea for you, but I'd love a hodgepodge binding! I'm crazy for handmade rugs, and my daughter is saving T-shirts for ones for her house as well. I've even been brave enough to try wool rug hooking, and love that too.

Barbara C said...

The rug is 22 x 28 inches. I used up all my strips and t-shirt yarn or I would've made it a bit bigger.

Barbara C said...

I'm pretty happy with it so far, and I think it should be quick to assemble it.

Barbara C said...

I used a size Q hook, which is about as fat as a sausage link. I agree, crocheting is harder on the hands than knitting, so I have to take lots of breaks.

Barbara C said...

I find that 1" is too wide for t-shirt yarn, and it's hard to work that wide, so I shoot for 1/2-3/4". Thanks for the border ideas!

Barbara C said...

Wool rug hooking is on my "after retirement" list.

Suztats said...

Love your butterfly quilt! The center block is a fabulous idea and fits in there beautifully. That is one very pretty scarf-- the colours are juicy! Good way to use up old t-shirts and sheets in your rug.
I've done some wool rug hooking, and even the dimensional hooking, and it's a lot of fun. It can be hard on the hands, too.

Moira said...

Love, love, love that center block idea and the 4 small blocks you're using for it are wonderful!