April 15, 2014

Suz- Stitch-a-bit and Paint-a-bit-more

Yep. That's what I did last week: stitch-a-bit and paint. What did I stitch?
Well, I began work on the April HEX LABS from StitchMAP, and chose the Umbrella Design to embroider. Here's my progress so far:
I made an error placing my second rose, so I ad-libbed a bit on the placement of the 'daisies' made with the twisted detached chain stitch.

I think my spider's web flowers might be a little small, but there's flower size variation in nature, so I'm leaving them as is.


This different angle shows the flowers a bit better. Now I have leaves to add, and baby's breath to bead, and I'm almost finished......











And what did I paint? I bought a gelli plate (a gel printing plate) and a brayer, and I was having fun trying out textures, colours, and stencils on paper. One of these days, when I sort of have an idea how to get more pleasing results, I may attempt to print these on fabric. That should be fun!
Here's just a few of my experiments with the gelli plate:



 no, that's not blurry..........that's the effect of many layers of colour, and this pattern rather reminds me of crocodile skin
swirly fun
Using a lace piece as a resist
Maybe it would look better with some ink here and there to enhance the pattern. I think it would have shown up better with a solid colour  paint backdrop, too. So many new fun things to learn!





Well, that's all I have to show. Where did the week go?
Hope you had lots of creative stitching time this week.
Wishing everyone a very Happy Easter!

Hugs from Suz

11 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

That umbrella is so pretty!
Wow, lots of fun with your printing, I think I'm jealous.

Cyra said...

That umbrella is great. Love the flowers. I dont think that the spiderweb flowers are too small. Nature has its differences.
Yes you will definitly have to print some of those patterns onto fabrics. Especially love the Celtic knot print, and the swirly one is awesome too.
I would really love to come for a 'playday' at your house Suz :-)

Suztats said...

Cyra, you'd be welcome for a playday anytime! What fun we'd have!

Hugs

Suztats said...

A gelli plate is a lot of fun, Angela, but not cheap. I've been saving up for mine for a while, and there was a sale on.............so I jumped in. Thanks. Good thing I already had stencils and stamps and paint and.... :O

Moira said...

The umbrella is lovely! And a design that I'm going to keep in mind for when I get back to stitching again. Looks like you've been having fun with the gel printing. Those papers will be fun to use in something

Debra Spincic said...

Umbrella all the way!

Barbara C said...

Both the umbrella and the prints are great! So many beautiful colors and textures.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I'm having the same problem with time passing WAY too fast! Love your "bumbershoot" with flowers, just beautiful.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Looks like fun. Love the umbrella.

cq4fun said...

The painting looks great - reminds me of something we did in a college art class - I had forgotten all about that! I love the umbrella. I think the size variation in the flowers is great - it's a bouquet, so there needs to be a difference.

Judy S. said...

Love, love, love that umbrella!