April 15, 2014

Susan: Much Better Progress This Week!

This past Friday and Saturday were my group's UFO weekend. When I was discouraged on Saturday by one quilt project, I switched to cq and worked on my February 2014 CQJP block - definitely a UFO!

This seam was inspired by both Needle'nThread video and photos and a desire to do something curvy, plus the fact that I love buttonhole wheels. They turned into fans when I put a detached chain as the start of something going the other way on the seam and realized it looked fine just like that.

Seam 62

I was in the mood to us floss today, which hardly ever happens, so all these seams are stitched in either Needle Necessities floss (out of business about 5 years ago - similar colors from Threadworx) or the hand-dyed floss I used to sell in my etsy store. I didn't dye it. If I live to be 1000, life will still be too short for me to ever dye anything myself. I had a wonderful dyer in Canada dye to my specifications. I had a line I called triads. Instead of variegated, the colors changed along the length of the floss - three colors for each skein. It was fun to use both of those older favorites.

Here are some things that were also inspired by Mary Corbet's site, and stitched in the flosses. Next time, I think I'll either use 4 strands instead of 2, or else I'll use perle 8 or 12. I did try the Aurifil 12 wt on the yellow French Knots in the center of the one daisy. I wouldn't trade my Sassa Lynne for it, nor probably my Valdani, but it is a nice thread just the same. The variegated length is quite long so all 7 FK are the same color, but it darkens in a few more inches. The other one has orange, brown and yellow beads at the center.

Two Daisies

Before that, I had one other opportunity to stitch and here are pictures of what I did there:













Still about 1/3 of the block to stitch, maybe only 1/4.

8 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

It sounds like you were restless to hand stitch. I'm glad you found your groove! The red/orange flowers are my favorite.

Moira said...

Love the buttonhole fans! All of it is looking great.

Judy S. said...

Looks like you made great progress, Susan. Love that flowery corner and all the rest, too.

ladyhawthorne said...

I'd call it beautiful progress! Those wheels/fans almost remind me of fancy curtain hangers, love it!

Suztats said...

I love the buttonhole fans you created, and your thread choices. Nice and very pretty progress.

Cyra said...

A good week for you Susan. Love your embellishment of the appliqued lace in the last photo. Gorgeous work.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love your progress this week. I hope someday I gain your confidence.

Barbara C said...

The buttonhole fans are lovely. It's good to hear your appraisal of the different threads.