April 8, 2014

Moira - Tea Towel Challenge finally started

Haven't been able to get much done this past week thanks to being sick all week.   (I don't do sick well!  lol)   However I did get the first two blocks for my tea towel challenge quilt designed and made.     The tea towel that I'm using in the quilt is one that shows multiple scenes from London.   I bought it because it reminds me of a trip that I made there back in 1997 to celebrate having finished my first master's degree.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to use the towel as it is now, or if I want to cut it up and use the sections through out the wall hanging.   Will probably leave it as is because I'd end up having to applique the scenes in order to use them separately because of the towel is printed.

The fabrics that I'm using in the quilt for the most part are ones that I bought while in London.   They are all Rose & Hubble prints and from a line of Christmas prints they had out there.  Should be interesting to see if I can manage to keep it from looking like a Christmas quilt.

The first block that I made uses 37 buttons to form a snowflake.   Yes it did snow while i was there, but I made the block to represent the Pearly Kings and Queens of London.   I didn't see any while I was there, but they are an integral part of London society and I love their outfits.   Their outfits are decorated with hundreds of pearl buttons, sometimes in the most elaborate designs.

 More info about them can be found here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearly_Kings_and_Queens

The second block that I completed is a machine appliqued block of Queen Elizabeth's silhouette.  Because of all the tight curves I just did a raw-edge applique with a straight stitch instead of satin-stitching or button hole.

One of the things that I did while there was wait with all of the other people (tourists and locals) at St. Paul's Cathedral one morning to see the members of the royal family arrive to celebrate the anniversary of the church.   The Queen and Prince Phillip were driven right by where I was standing which was fun.   This block is in memory of that morning.

Still have a number of blocks in my mind to make for this quilt.   And it is one of the projects that I have pulled to take with me to the quilt retreat I'm headed to this week.  =)

12 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Love the idea of this piece, what great memories. I think you will have the hardest time with the 2 fabrics in the bottom corners, they look the most Christmasy. Elizabeth looks wonderful!

Moira said...

I was there between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so a little Christmasy will be ok.....lol. I just don't want the overall feeling to be of Chrismas. But since I want to use the fabrics up it will be what it will be.

Debra Spincic said...

You can always piece them together for the backing.

cq4fun said...

The fabric colors go nicely with the towel. To cut or not to cut, that is the question. =) Hard one to answer, too! It looks good, so far, though.

Cyra said...

Oh wow. Memories for me too. I used to be a Pearly Queen in the dance troupe that I was with, lol.
And I recognize a lot of your fabrics, I could even find them in my own stash (if I hadn't packed them away in the container already).
Love the Queen's head block.

Moira said...

And that is most likely what I'll do! =)

Moira said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one with these fabrics! =)

Debra Spincic said...

I've been piecing a lot of backings lately for quilts. I'm surprised how much fabric that uses. The results are always so nice, though, like a 2nd quilt.

Suztats said...

This will be a wonderful reminder of a special time. Looking forward to seeing how this all develops!

Suztats said...

Have a fabulous time at retreat!

Judy S. said...

What a fun quilt you re going to have. I've found a towel and that's it so far. Love the queen's profile, and thanks for the pearly queens info. We missed them!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I will be interested in how this progresses - I have a number of tea towels I bought when we did the Scottish games back in the day. I had a notion once to put them into a quilt, so it's one of those things that has been floating around inside my head for about 20 years.