April 1, 2014

Judy ~ Fight to the Finish (Thanks, Debra!)

Have you ever had a fight with a pattern?  I just did, and then in the midst of it, I ran out of yarn.   My inherent stubborness plus the time I'd invested kept me going, and in the process I learned a few things:  Just because a pattern costs money doesn't necessarily mean it's well written or that it's been proofread!  I've had great luck though with most patterns, purchased or free, so I can't really complain.  It was a good reminder however.  Had I known about and  used the feature on Ravelry that shows comments from other knitters about  a particular project, I would have known that others found the directions difficult also.  If you ever run out of yarn on a project and it hasn't been years since the yarn was purchased, get in touch with the yarn shop where you purchased the yarn.  Chances are they may still have yarn of the same dye lot.  (Better yet, buy an extra ball the first time!)  I've lucked out twice thanks to keeping track on Ravelry where I buy my yarn.  So what do these devilish booties look like? Ta Da!


Here they are thanks to the good service from the Black Sheep yarn shop in Encinitas, CA, which got the necessary yardage here in record time. They'll fit Stella some day. (Yep, the sizing seems off, too.)



I finally finished these socks this past week also.  That yarn was fun!  This is the Simple Skyp pattern minus the Skyp stitch which didn't show up well with this yarn.  One of these days I'll finish socks with the whole pattern! Have a happy week!

I also got 2 quilts back from my quilting friend.  Now to do the binding! ;-) 

15 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

There's much to be said for all kinds of patterns that have inadequate instructions. The internet, and especially YouTube, can get a person out of a jam. It wasn't like that in the old days!

Sweet little booties!

Now bring on the quilts!

Munir said...

I love those booties. The socks are cute too.

Cyra said...

So glad you worked through the problem with the booties. They turned out lovely in the end.
Nice socks too. Are they for you?

cq4fun said...

It may have been a pain in the needles to finish those booties, but they are definitely cute. Do you think it would be easier to do a second time?

Judy S. said...

Nope, I gave them to DD#2.

Judy S. said...

I am tempted just to see whether I really have them figured out. I also wonder whether they could be knit "in the round" to avoid the back seam, but I don't think I'll try them again any time soon.

Judy S. said...

This one was pretty weird though; I think the right and left had been flipped; anyhow the first time I was going to end up with two left booties, not good. I ripped out the first bootie 3 times! That's why I ordered more yarn rather than using another color; I had already made one ruffle and would have had to rip it out. So now I have enough yarn for a different pair of booties someday for someone...

ladyhawthorne said...

Good for you for sticking it out, the booties are adorable, the ruffle makes them special. Love the socks too.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Your efforts were worth it, the booties are very cute. Sure love the color. I'll have to wait on starting any socks until December...we've officially entered the "sweat season", lol.

Judy S. said...

Thanks! The sock color is called The White Witch's Lure....Lorna's Laces.

Judy S. said...

It'll be a long time here till sandal season. We've had record rainfall in March, over 8 inches, so hip waders might fit the bill. DD#2 loves purple, so Stella does , too by default. This yarn is a pretty lavender and is pretty sturdy to have withstood all those rippings.

Debra Spincic said...

I hope these booties get bronzed one of these days! Do people still bronze baby shoes?

Debra Spincic said...

Yea, move on to something else!

Judy S. said...

Thanks!

Suztats said...

Those devilish details make those booties so adorable! Good for you for hanging in there and toughing it out. I like those socks, too.