April 29, 2014

Debra: Patchwork Pillow Covers

The blue crazy patch pillows (16") are finished. Here they are sitting on my living room couch with other handmade pillows. They will be flying off to IL this afternoon for a Mother's Day event at Karcher Art Studios.

I pieced and quilted all the backs of the pillows.  The binding was sewn on with the longarm in one continuous length.  I ironed the binding to the inside and topstitched it down.


This is a 4 pillow backing ready to return to the longarm.  Once on the frame I'll lay the pillow fronts on top and stitch the square that joins them as pillows.


Pillow fronts were sewn from miscellaneous blocks and some scrap crumb blocks.  Everything was straight line quilted.



Today is absolutely the last day to sew them.  If they are not delivered to UPS this afternoon, they won't arrive in time for the event.  I'm uncomfortable working this close to a deadline.  I originally thought I would pull some wallhangings from my portfolio but I was told the studio had very little wall space to use.  That bit of news sent me scurrying for a new idea.

In the end I'm glad I took the time to experiment with the technique I used for constructing the pillows. I'll be using it again on pillows I offer for sale. 

12 comments:

cq4fun said...

Those came out great! The straight-line quilting is perfect, I think.

Debra Spincic said...

I just finished stitching the 2nd set of 4 and they really look good! It's so tempting to keep these for myself but they are promised!

Moira said...

Those all came out great. Glad you made your deadline on getting them finished.

ladyhawthorne said...

Yes, these are GREAT!

Cyra said...

Love that you have devised your own special way to produce these cushions. They are beautiful. I would like to fill my whole home with soft furnishings in this style.

Debra Spincic said...

Me too! I am hoping when I have a face-to-face visit with the shop owner who wants some of my quilt work that I can suggest a "soft goods home furnishings" service for her shop.

Suztats said...

I'd love to have these grace my loveseat! No wonder you want to keep t hem--I would too! Such a comfy homey feeling to them!

Judy S. said...

You did it, and posted too! Good job. I'd have a hard time sending these off though; they are real nice!

Debra Spincic said...

I just put them in the box and closed it tight before I could change my mind!

Debra Spincic said...

I hope there are some other ladies at the show who feel the same way as you do!

QuiltingFitzy said...

The pillows look very "cottagy"! Is the event a "sale"? They're going to be very popular! Good job getting the pedal to the metal.

Barbara C said...

What a great scrappy project. They look so crisp and fresh.