April 8, 2014

Debra: Conversations 2


Conversations 2

55 x 84 inches
Cotton, linen, polyester blends, reclaimed clothing, ribbons, trims
Machine stitched






In the end I liked this piece without any of the other colored adornments.  
A friend sent me 2 quilt tops that needed a border.  I remembered a bright pink dust ruffle I had that I could use for the border.  After I ripped the skirt from the foundation, I liked the pink edge left over.  That coupled with a linen drapery piece formed the background for my textured piece.  
It will be interesting to watch if the humid Houston air will drop those wrinkles out of the linen.  I starched that fabric prior to hanging but as you can see, that was an exercise in futility!  I'll say it adds to the textural look!

13 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

Love it! So simple looking but it has so much going on-quietly. Must be a whispered conversation.

Moira said...

I really like how the texture in the pieced section, while so simple, really makes the quilt.

Debra Spincic said...

It may look simple but it was pretty intense stitching all those straight lines!

Judy S. said...

It makes me think of an unrolled scroll. Very pretty, Debra! You are the Queen of recycled fabric and always manage to make something beautiful from it!

Debra Spincic said...

:-), Recycle or Go Home!

cq4fun said...

You are definitely moving into the world of art quilting, I think. I like the overall look of this piece. Is the conversation between you and the fabrics? =)

Debra Spincic said...

I think it's between me and the voice in my head! LOL!

Cyra said...

Love all those raw edges (I'm really into raw edges atm). The tiny splashes of colour throughout the piece adds interest and invites closer inspection.

Debra Spincic said...

http://tast2012.blogspot.com/2014/01/debra-2-wall-hangings.html

This is Conversations 2 when I was working on it. The green border pieces were too drab and the little square moire pieces were too pale.

Debra Spincic said...

Thanks!

Suztats said...

J'adore!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

I love it - all the textures. I have voices too but they never tell me to do anything this interesting.

Debra Spincic said...

Mine are not always so interesting either! Today mine is saying you better get to the grocery store.