April 30, 2014

Deborah: R&W CQ

Just a tiny bit of progress on the CQ this week. You would laugh if you saw me toting my little box with the CQ blocks, thread, and beads into the living room almost every night, optimistically thinking I will get a lot done before I pass out. If I get one line of stitching done before my chin hits my chest, I'm lucky.

So here we go:

I can't remember what this stitch is called*, and it would show up better in two different colors. Still, I like the texture and I'll add some beads later.





This piece of white fabric is so old, as old as my oldest daughter, I think. I was experimenting on my Elna machine with double needle stitching. That bit of lace is from the same era, I think. A couple of nights ago, I just had an idea of  what kind of stitching to put on it without obscuring the double needle sewing.

(I always planned to do so much when the girls were little. It seems I either had time or money but not both.)

I apologize for the late posting. Monday night and this morning I could not get anything to come up on my computer. Finally realized it was updating Windows. There must have been a heck of a lot of updates because I gave up and at last I was able to restart and get something done.

I also did a muslin of the dress I'm making for my sister-in-law. Luckily - I think I said this last week - she decided to use the same pattern for both dresses. It was very easy to adjust the pattern to fit her. I am pretty sure I can get the first dress finished on Monday when I am off work. 

My daughter and I are going to Asheville, North Carolina on Friday and coming home Sunday. I'm so ready for a break, and North Carolina is one of my favorite places to visit. Yes, as long as I can get to the beach and the mountains a few times a year, I'm a happy camper.

(Update: It's called the laced herringbone.)

6 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice work! I love this project of yours. (My stitching stuff at the moment is parked on the couch in the family room...waiting.) Have a great weekend with your daughter!

ladyhawthorne said...

I know what you mean about chin hitting the chest, lol. I usually do my stitching in the morning for about 30 minutes and after dinner for about 30 minutes or so, depends on when Bill O'Reilly comes on, sorry I can't stand his arguing and have to leave Mom to watch alone.

So glad you found a place to use the double stitched fabric, it's lovely.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

It's why I never throw anything away. :-)

Renata's arts and crafts said...

This is a lovely combination of machine stitching and hand embroidery . I love the colors too.

Suztats said...

Beautiful stitching! and beautiful fabric additions!

Cyra said...

Nice work Deborah. I really like the laced herringbone seam and your double-needle sewing is impressive. Glad that you kept it all these years, just waiting for the special place for it to make its come-back.
Hope your weekend away with your daughter is a happy and refreshing one.