April 22, 2014

Deborah: Fabric

Sorry, but I have nothing significant to report on the CQ.

Nevertheless, it was a wonderful four-day weekend. Friday (rainy and cold) my sister in law and I went to Gail K Fabrics. She's going to two weddings in May and June and needed new dresses - of course! Here's the fabric we chose:


Fortunately for me she decided on a very simple A-line princess seamed dress, so once I get the fitting done, it will should be very simple to make. I love both of these pieces.  You will be hearing a lot about these two dresses in the next few weeks,I imagine. :-)

Although it was rainy Friday and Saturday, we then had two absolutely gorgeous days with perfect weather. Sunday and we had our monthly family brunch. Yesterday, same SIL (see above), my daughter and I went to Grower's Outlet in Loganville, Ga. (a long drive but worth it) and went crazy over plants - hostas, herbs, shrubs, ground cover. It's not a big place and they require two off duty Loganville policemen to direct traffic and help people park but it's worth the trip because of the excellent prices. I'm ready to get outside and dig. I have a flat of blue hostas, one of ground cover which I can't remember what they call but it's very pretty, a beautiful hosta called Patriot; Judy gave me an azalea bush that she never got around to planting and had nearly rooted which still in the container; some other things. Allison bought herbs and flowers. Judy - well, I don't have time to catalog everything she bought. :-)

So, I apologize for not being with the program the last four days. It's been a much needed break from work, and much needed family time. Hope this little recap of my weekend didn't bore you. There is *some* sewing content!



14 comments:

Moira said...

Lovely fabrics! Have fun sewing the dresses.

desertskyquilts said...

Same pattern for both dresses? That should make things easier, too! Pretty fabrics.

Debra Spincic said...

Better you than me when it comes to slippery fabrics! I lost my patience with them years ago.

Judy S. said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend! Both of those shops you visited would have been hard to resist, at least for me. Good thing they're so far away!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Pray for me. :-)

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Yes, I vetoed most of the choices she sent me. ;-)

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Beautiful fabrics at Gail's. Stuff you cannot find anywhere else, and the prices are reasonable, considering what fabric costs these days. But my SIL does not sew and has no idea what is involved so I have to be pretty firm about what I will and will not tackle.

ladyhawthorne said...

Sounds like you had fun with plants, good thing there is not one of those outlets here, I'd be broke in 2 seconds!
I used to sew a lot of clothes, now I really don't like doing it.

Debra Spincic said...

:-), you got it!

Suztats said...

Brave you sewing two dresses! Last time I sewed a dress was for my daughter's grade 8 graduation! It took forever: boning (first for me), lining (another first) strapless and fitted--Arghh! No wonder I don't sew clothes anymore lol!
Wish I'd been with you on your plant haul. I go broke at nurseries easily, but, it's too early here......it's chancy planting anything remotely fragile before May 24.

Cyra said...

Great fabric choices. I get so tempted in fabric shops, I always come out with far more than I intended to buy.
We are just about to give our garden an overhaul, so I shall be searching for plant bargains soon as well.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Grower's sounds like an awesome place. I have dress patterns I want to make up too, I like the styles these days. Can't wait to see your progress.

Deborah McLaughlin said...

You know what I loved most about the gardening place - all the old ladies talking about their gardens. I thought: that's me when I retire! Sewing and gardening. All day long. One lovely woman saw me with my tray of blue hostas & told me she had so much in her yard she was giving it away. "Where do you live?" I asked her. But she wouldn't tell me! :-)

Barbara C said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend. Gardening is a big distraction for me too these days.