April 1, 2014

Cy ~ Heart Crazy Quilt Catch Up

This week I am playing catch up with my Straight From the Heart Crazy Quilt.

Here are three weeks worth in one post (is that good value, or what?)

Week 11

Machine work - haha - something you don't see very often from me.
Playing (experimenting) with free-motion quilting and also practicing with metallic threads.
Pink and purple satin fabric, only the purple one is the shiny, slippery little devil.
Hand stitched to the black rose fabric with buttonhole stitch.





Week 12

Reverse applique heart with a fly stitch decoration and a fabric 'ruffle' flower for the centre.



Week 13

Two more 'ruffle' flowers (just because I was enjoying doing them) and a Suffolk Puff flower (I am English so that's what I call them, you may know them as Yoyo's).
The stamen are made with Cast-on stitch.
The Suffolk Puff looks somewhat black in this pic, but it is actually a deep aubergine.
I may add some hand stitched embroidery in places on this, I'll just have to see what time I have spare.



 Quilt Show Photo Album 

The quilt show photos that I mentioned last week are on Flickr - all 108 photos.

....and don't be shy, say hello over there...
There are too many to post to this blog sorry, but here's a taster for you....







21 comments:

Debra Spincic said...

Your flowers are the Bomb this week!

Deborah McLaughlin said...

Love the machine quilting; something I need to practice. I'm going to go look at the quilt show pictures.

Cyra said...

;)

Cyra said...

Some quite good quilts there. I may have to enter something in the next show.

Debra Spincic said...

If you were to finish your teal/black/grey CQ, I am sure it would be worthy of a quilt show. (Hint, hint.)

Cyra said...

Funny you should say that as it was what I was thinking too.

Debra Spincic said...

It's your strongest needlework work to date. Keeping constant tabs with you over the last 3 years alerts me to the really good "stuff"! :-))

Cyra said...

Thanks for that :-))
I have a problem though. I have packed all my threads, beads and embellishments for that project away now.
I may have to go shopping for more supplies because there is no way I am unpacking boxes until after the move.
Problem solved...hahaha.

Debra Spincic said...

You kept out the project but not the supplies? Not computing the logic there, Cyra!

Cyra said...

I know, I know. There's no sense to my logic.
I suppose I just couln't bare to fold it up. I still look at it every day as I pass by.

cq4fun said...

What interesting variety in this post! Thank you for sharing the quilt show pics. I'll have to go to flickr and see more. The reverse applique with fly stitch appealed to me so much! I think all the work you are doing on this heart quilt is so interesting. Now I can throw around the term Suffolk puff mysteriously. =)

ladyhawthorne said...

I didn't know about Suffolk puff either, it's fun to learn new stuff! Those machine stitched hearts are fabulous. I've never tried reverse applique but it is pretty!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Thanks for sharing your quilt show photos. I get to only 1 every-other-year, so I live vicariously through others! Those puff flowers are so cool!

Judy S. said...

Suffolk puff sounds way more intriguing than yoyos! Love all those hearts! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Thanks for the quilt show photos, too!

Debra Spincic said...

:-))

Suztats said...

Cy, I love the FME hearts. I've tried a bit of FME, and it can be real tricky-- I'm not quite fast enough and I break needles.......more practice needed. The reverse applique is really neat ( we called it cutwork in Karen's course-- I wonder if it's just a different terminology, or if there's a difference between the two? ) and your suffolk puffs look great!

Cyra said...

Thanks. I find that if I am really enjoying a project then it talks me into using new or different techniques.

Cyra said...

Reverse applique can be done by machine or hand. Mine is by hand (of course, lol).

Cyra said...

I don't get to quilt shows very often either. It just so happened that this quilt show is very near to our new home in Hawkes Bay. A bi-annual show so I should be there for the next one too.

Cyra said...

Sometimes it is more difficult to translate English terms to American, but it's fun seeing your responses when I do lol.

Cyra said...

Thanks Suz. I used to do a lot of free motion quilting but have got out of familiarity with it lately, so I am in practice mode again.
Yes there is a difference between cutwork and reverse applique. I've seen Karen's cutwork and it is definitely cutwork.