April 29, 2014

Cy ~ Crazy Quilt ~ Crochet ~ Tatting ~ Singing

What should I show you first this week?
How about the little birdie on the "E" monogram, updated this week with a flourish of floral vine twirling away in the background, and the little birdie now has a 'body' to help it sing its little heart out.
It is a fabric patch on my "Straight From the Heart" crazy quilt.
Simple, yet effective. I hope Emma likes what I did with her initial for inclusion on the quilt.



And here is a crochet flower motif. My own design. 
This is also going on the Heart Quilt.




 Tatting Update
 I have been practicing my tatting once more and made this motif. 
Still wonky, still mistakes, still learning, lol.


And..... for those of you who didn't get to see my excitement on Facebook....

Hold your ears while I sing a loud WAHOOOO.....
(American friends insert 'Ye Haaaa' if you wish)....

....... I ....... CAN ....... TAT .......


Oh my goodness, I can tat. At last. I finally get 'IT'.
Good old Percy did it again.
(Percy = perseverance)
Lesson learnt. See, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
I've had a great week.
I wonder what the next seven days will bring.

17 comments:

cq4fun said...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the next week will bring more TATTING! =) It looks very good. I really like the little bird and the E. What stitch did you use to make the bird look so feathery?

Debra Spincic said...

You made up that crochet flower? WOW! you really are a whiz with crochet. Impressive.
Cute little bird embroidery too.

Cyra said...

The bird body is just long and short stitches in the direction that the feathers should lie. Three strands of dmc floss.

Cyra said...

Thanks Debra. When I get time, I shall write up the pattern for the flower and put it on Ravelry.

Suztats said...

WooHoo and YeeHaw! Well done on the tatting, Cy! Looks great! I like your crochet flower, too. It's so neat that you can design your own patterns. Pretty birdie, and a lovely flourish!

Moira said...

Congrats on dealing so well with Percy and learning to tat! Love what you managed to accomplish this week.

ladyhawthorne said...

I love it all but especially the E and its accompaniments.

Judy S. said...

Wow, that tatting is impressive. I have a book and the needle and that's it! LOVE what you've done with the E block and can't wait to see how you incorporate the crocheted flower. You are definitely multi-talented, a clever cat but not an old dog. LOL

Cyra said...

Thanks for singing along with me Suz. I expect that your expert tatting eyes would have noticed the mistake of two picots instead of one on one of the inner rings, lol. Ah well, I'm still learning.

Cyra said...

Thank you Moira. Percy sure did well this week.

Cyra said...

Thanks Angela. I enjoyed stitching the E.

Cyra said...

Old dogs, clever cats, hah. I live with a grumpy old bear, a cheeky monkey, a babbling baboon and a hairy hobbit, so 'clever cat' will suit me just fine.

Debra Spincic said...

You shouldn't talk about your family like that!

Cyra said...

Lol, I should have said that they are 'affectionately known as'.

QuiltingFitzy said...

OK...so I gotta learn this tatting, lol. Driving me to distraction!! Hopefully the patterns are easier to follow? Love your work and determination! (Your birdie is AWESOME!!)

Suztats said...

No, I never look for errors in other people's tatting (and I hope they do the same with mine! lol! you should see my bin of errors---no, better yet, you don't want to see that! lol)
I just enjoy the beauty of the tat. Congrats again.

Barbara C said...

The embroidered block is now extra-lovely. Congratulations in the tatting. That's a skill I've yet to try.