March 18, 2014

Fitzy - A lull in the action

I don't have much progress to show today. I'm worried that I just may be trying to hard to make it perfect. I look and look and look at stitches, auditioning them for a certain addition, and then think maybe I should be just practicing on something simple. Does this make any sense? Just concerned about meeting everyone's expectations...when there aren't any?! Ack, such nonsense rattles through my brain constantly. (The noise there, is VERY LOUD!)

This photo provides the closest color match.

I probably set out to do no less than 3 different stitches on this seam. Originally I wanted something "pointy". The seam needed taming though, it was tending to want to bubble a bit. I like my lace addition as a whole, but not sure I like the overhang into the golden block, just below the dandelion. What do you say? Should I perhaps cover the end with a leaf tip from the dandelion?

Hope you're all having a wonderful start to your week. Work has been frantic, and the weather has been too nice to pass up! Now if I could just add a few hours to my day, it'd all be good!

7 comments:

ladyhawthorne said...

I like the lace addition where it is but a dandelion leaf would look wonderful and would marry the 2 together.

Judy S. said...

Looks great to me! I'm anxious to see what you do with the unstitched areas.

Debra Spincic said...

Everyone's crazy quilting style is a little different. You'll have to find your style and go with your ideas.
No one stitches a masterpiece the first time. It takes a lot of trial and error to get to the level where you know exactly what to do without hesitation.

Barbara C said...

What you've done so far is lovely. My approach is to use the block as a sampler. I embelllish a seam, and my choice may impact how I address the next seam, but I don't do much planning ahead, other than to choose a general color palette and to have a list of stitches I want to use. One seam will inform those that follow. And the seams are short, so if I'm not happy, it's easy enough to unsew and start again.

Suztats said...

This is so lovely! Do not listen to that inner critic--she knows naught of what she speaks! Trust your instincts, and remember it's not made of stone and you can always take it out if you decide so later. I agree with Angela re the lace if you feel the need to do anything there.

cq4fun said...

I like the block just fine the way it is. You are heading in a wonderful direction. I agree with Barbara about how I approach a block, except I almost never take anything out. It's a rule I made for myself a long time ago. You can second-guess yourself until the background is threadbare! Just leave it and go on. In the whole piece, all seams go together harmoniously, even the ones you didn't like originally.

Cyra said...

Love the lace addition. The whole block looks good to me. I like the fly stitch dandelion seeds flying off in a breeze.
You are defintely on the right track with your
crazy quilting here. The only advice that I have for you is... don't be so hard on yourself... lol.